MP's Pay Rise 7%

Started by Alex, December 19, 2023, 09:00:00 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

Unbelievable.  I'm not sure if I heard this correctly, I just caught the end of it on Talk Radio, surely not ? 

GrannyMac

I can imagine the Tories want as much as possible, before loads of them lose their seats! 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

They get a payoff. Doubtless that will be improved too. This is one use of public funds that meets my full approval. The more payments the better, Shame each payment might be higher but we can't have everything.

dextrous63

I'm a tad confused.  Aren't pay awards supposed to partly reflect perfomance? Is the country really in an improved state now that warrants their pay rise?

klondike

Just as turkeys never vote for Christmas MPs will never vote for performance related pay deals.

dextrous63

Good point.  By rights, many of them ought to be using their second, third, fourth .... jobs to repay the taxpayer.

Cassandra

They always keep up with the minimum paid to 'second rate' (born before Feb '51) State Pensioners. Of course their fruit cake salary rates mean that's £6,000 a year increase. Or put another way 66% of a second rate pensioner's TOTAL superannuation.

Flagrantly disgusting

No wonder Fishy Sunks in trouble, he's an expert in self inflicted damage!

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ashy

If MPs were paid at the rate of £92,000 pa for what they actually did, most of them would be paid between 0 and £2,000, whilst many would owe us money.

GrannyMac

I agree Ashy.  Great cartoon Cassandra!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on December 20, 2023, 10:04:12 AMIf MPs were paid at the rate of £92,000 pa for what they actually did, most of them would be paid between 0 and £2,000, whilst many would owe us money.
I agree.
This series of Conservative governments over the past 13 years have been wishy-washy and completely useless, although to be fair nothing as dangerous as the Bliar/Broon years.

I dread to think of what will happen if either of the 'two main parties' (Labour and Lib-Cons) should be elected next year.
Although I have read many online comments from ordinary people insisting that they will vote for Reform, sadly the majority will stick with those 'two main parties'.  Then when one of them forms the next government, those same majority of voters will continue to whinge about the country not being run properly.

You couldn't make it up!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Quote from: JBR on December 20, 2023, 11:16:07 AMThis series of Conservative governments over the past 13 years have been wishy-washy and completely useless, although to be fair nothing as dangerous as the Bliar/Broon years.
I think you are being overly fair. In the last 13 years we have gone even further down the pan than we did during the Blair / Brown years. IMO anyway. You can't point at anything these days and say that works.

Cassandra

Quote from: Ashy on December 20, 2023, 10:04:12 AMIf MPs were paid at the rate of £92,000 pa for what they actually did, most of them would be paid between 0 and £2,000, whilst many would owe us money.

Well said and the troupe of them now trousering loads of money on Talk TV and GB News :shocked:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on December 20, 2023, 11:35:31 AMWell said and the troupe of them now trousering loads of money on Talk TV and GB News :shocked:
To be fair, the one I have seen on GB News, and who I really respect, is Jacob Rees-Mogg.  One of the very few Conservatives in the Conservative party.  He does talk a lot of good sense.  I'd be happy to vote for him.
Shame about most of the others!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

the fact that he is a genuine Conservative is why he has so many detractors from the so-called Conservatives in the party
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on December 21, 2023, 04:59:01 AMthe fact that he is a genuine Conservative is why he has so many detractors from the so-called Conservatives in the party
He also has his own Moggcast on Conservative Home.

I've never seen any other politician give such straight comprehensive answers.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]