UK Aurora.

Started by Raven, November 05, 2023, 08:19:03 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Just had notice from my app that The Aurora should be able to be seen from most places in the UK tonight. It's certainly showing here at the moment.
So keep an eye on the sky in your area.  :yay:

klondike

Thanks. I will take a look but I fear that as well as maybe being too far south I'll likely be thwarted by cloud or light polution.

I have seen videos of the of course but must ask are those videos all speeded up or do they actually move fast enough to notice in real time?

November 05, 2023, 10:37:50 PM
As I feared not visible. I live south of the town so to the north where I'm guessing I need to look there is just an orange tinge. Few stars either so there is cloud too. Maybe one day...

Raven

Oh that's a shame, they are so worth seeing and the first time you do is amazing.
Yes they do seem to move, but it's actually millions of flashes that make them appear to move/dance. I used to get out of the house and go over to the beach and watch them swirling above me.

BBC News - Northern Lights in UK: Spectacle caught on camera
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67329638

klondike

I think I'd need to be out into the countryside as they are likely to be dim this far south anyway and there is a lot of light pollution from the town. As I stepped out the back my floodlight came on too. I'd forgotten it  :nooo:

Raven

Hhhmmmmm yes, possibly. We get Aurora Hunters here at this time of year, some stay in motor homes some sleep in their cars, but you always come across them early in the season, there's several here just now.

Raven

Thurso got a 2 for 1 display last night, Fireworks plus The Aurora. :shocked: My pal took her granddaughter to see the fireworks and took a few pics with her phone then sent them to me. I am almost sorry to have missed it.

Cassandra

Quote from: Raven on November 06, 2023, 12:39:29 PMThurso got a 2 for 1 display last night, Fireworks plus The Aurora. :shocked: My pal took her granddaughter to see the fireworks and took a few pics with her phone then sent them to me. I am almost sorry to have missed it.

Beautiful pictures  :smiley:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Yes good pics indeed. I see they were put up a while back and I missed them somehow.