New Drama to Look Forward to

Started by Alex, October 06, 2023, 04:46:41 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

ITV is to show a new drama written by Lenny Henry, entitled  'Three little birds'  it's about the lives of black people in this country and follows his family's arrival from Jamaica..   It's supposed to be set in 1950s Birmingham, but was actually filmed in Coventry, probably too many black faces in Birmingham to look like 1950. 

Hush my mouth, but Lenny Henry really is a racist, he hates white people, apart from the women !

Is he even funny ? :rolleyes:

klondike

One for my list. The avoid list that is. 

Michael Rolls

I have this vague feeling that I will find something else to occupy my time!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Is he really racist? It could be interesting, might or might not watch it.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

I think Lenny Henry likes the sound of his own voice..
Along with Lineker and  Walliams.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on October 06, 2023, 05:52:41 PMIs he really racist? It could be interesting, might or might not watch it.
I wouldn't like to say whether he is, or is not, racist, but I get the impression that he is entirely preoccupied with black people.
If he is a comedian, his appearances always seem to involve them in one way or another.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

I regard him as an inverted racist.

And no, I won't be watching his programme bang on about his perceived trials & tribulations of black lives in the 1950s.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Quote from: GrannyMac on October 06, 2023, 05:52:41 PMIs he really racist? It could be interesting, might or might not watch it.
quote author=GrannyMac link=msg=86347 date=1696611161]
[/quote]

What is it called then if you're black ?  perhaps I should have said he is 'anti white'  :hmm:

Raven

He can't hate white people that much, surely. He was married to Dawn French for a good while, and his current partner Lisa Makin is also white.

Alex

Quote from: Raven on October 07, 2023, 07:04:33 AMHe can't hate white people that much, surely. He was married to Dawn French for a good while, and his current partner Lisa Makin is also white.

I did say "apart from the women" in my first post  :grin:   I don't think he hates individuals, just the white race as a whole and how his race has been badly done by for generations.  It's not our fault is it ?

October 07, 2023, 09:51:55 AM
"  Lenny Henry on Live At The Apollo on now and the bloke hasn't stopped with black this and black that since he started.

Walks out and straight into gags about the black president of the USA and punching the air in delight... before moving on to pick out his "brother" in the audience; Lemar (a black singer) followed by "MY PEOPLE (meaning only black people) are doing really well" and then went on about Lewis Hamilton (A black racing driver)...

After 15 mins he dared to come off his racist ego trip to actually acknowledge a white person, Tommy Walsh in the audience. That was to say that Tommy and the ground force team did Nelson Mandela's garden and then he was off on the blacks only thing again.

The rest of his entire act was all about black people and doing his Jamaican accent and saying "my brothers" and "my people" to further segregate and exclude white people.

Sorry but racism works both ways and that was disgustingly racist.

Why are black people allowed to get away with that where white people would be taken off the air?  "

A few reviews like this.

Raven

I really don't understand all this hatred between different cultures. We could learn a lot from each other, different ideas, different ways ect ect.

When my kids were growing up there was a black family moved in around the corner, their daughter was a lovely wee lass called Crystal, she used to play with Regan sometimes. Her parents were nice too.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on October 07, 2023, 09:44:52 AMI did say "apart from the women" in my first post  :grin:  I don't think he hates individuals, just the white race as a whole and how his race has been badly done by for generations.  It's not our fault is it ?

October 07, 2023, 09:51:55 AM
"  Lenny Henry on Live At The Apollo on now and the bloke hasn't stopped with black this and black that since he started.

Walks out and straight into gags about the black president of the USA and punching the air in delight... before moving on to pick out his "brother" in the audience; Lemar (a black singer) followed by "MY PEOPLE (meaning only black people) are doing really well" and then went on about Lewis Hamilton (A black racing driver)...

After 15 mins he dared to come off his racist ego trip to actually acknowledge a white person, Tommy Walsh in the audience. That was to say that Tommy and the ground force team did Nelson Mandela's garden and then he was off on the blacks only thing again.

The rest of his entire act was all about black people and doing his Jamaican accent and saying "my brothers" and "my people" to further segregate and exclude white people.

Sorry but racism works both ways and that was disgustingly racist.

Why are black people allowed to get away with that where white people would be taken off the air?  "

A few reviews like this.
Because that is the nature of so many white British people.
In feeling sorry for black people, they themselves are being racist in considering them as inferior and in desperate need of support!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on October 06, 2023, 07:40:20 PMI regard him as an inverted racist.

And no, I won't be watching his programme bang on about his perceived trials & tribulations of black lives in the 1950s.

Absolutely I've always thought so, as is Michael Holding the ex West Indies Cricketer.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

1955vintage

While I do not doubt that there have been too many white racists in this country , the position building up to the Windrush arrivals is rarely discussed. The Caribbean workers arrived to replace the white lads killed in WW2. Many people resented their loved ones being replaced by people not from this country and reacted badly. Caribbean people lived by different rules, and suffered from discrimination.

In some parts of UK, hardly any black faces were seen. In our school of 600+ pupils there two black faces, both sons of Nigerian office workers and no brown ones. When I went to university in Birmingham, I was amazed at the number of non white faces in Sparkbrook and Moseley.

Henry may well have a point, but 80+% of this country is white, deal with it.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

GrannyMac

There has been little made of the thousands from the Caribbean who volunteered for service during WWII, or their casualties.  But lets face it, most humans like those who are similar to themselves.  A different colour of skin alone can still be enough to create suspicion and dislike.   

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖