Last Night at the Proms.

Started by Alex, September 10, 2023, 12:36:47 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Rule Britannia rings out at the Last Night event and what do we see?  bloody EU bloody flags  !  :yell:
They even changed the bloody words, it's Britons never SHALL be slaves not bloody will be slaves.  I do believe the bloody conductor may have been one of Ursula's cousins.  Whatever, he concluded the night with a bloody speech on "diversity and equality" in classical bloody music. 

Is nothing bloody sacred these days ? :cool:  :cool:

klondike

That started going downhill some years back. Always used to watch but gave up. I have seen the EU flags but had in the main packed up watching even before they arrived.

Raven

Not something I have ever watched. I know it's.....or was, a very popular programme and those who watched or attended it really enjoyed it. But for me it's a very English concert, and it doesn't move me at all. :busted:

JBR

The impression I get is that there are many who insist that we should have remained in the EU, despite the majority decision to leave.
That was at the beginning of 2020, and they're still at it.

I have seen other foreign flags at the Last Night of the Proms, but I assume they are waved by people who have come here from their countries of origin and are, presumably, showing that despite their origins they support Britain.

What the EU flag-wavers aim to show, I really don't know though I suspect it is just that: wishing that we had never left the EU and they want us to go back.

I wonder whether they'll change their tune as (reportedly) the EU countries are sinking like we are, but possibly at a greater rate.

September 10, 2023, 01:35:34 PM
Quote from: Raven on September 10, 2023, 01:28:36 PMNot something I have ever watched. I know it's.....or was, a very popular programme and those who watched or attended it really enjoyed it. But for me it's a very English concert, and it doesn't move me at all. :busted:
British, I believe.  Read the lyrics of the usual popular songs at the end.

Personally, I think that England and Scotland would both benefit by trying to join together in spirit.
Nothing personal to you, Raven, but the impression I get is that there are quite a few Scots who dislike the English.
Unfortunately, I really don't know why that should be.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Welsh dislike the English too  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

JBR

Quote from: Alex on September 10, 2023, 01:57:35 PMWelsh dislike the English too  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
I don't know why.
I don't dislike the Welsh.

Any particular reason?

Raven

Quote from: JBR on September 10, 2023, 01:31:58 PMThe impression I get is that there are many who insist that we should have remained in the EU, despite the majority decision to leave.
That was at the beginning of 2020, and they're still at it.

I have seen other foreign flags at the Last Night of the Proms, but I assume they are waved by people who have come here from their countries of origin and are, presumably, showing that despite their origins they support Britain.

What the EU flag-wavers aim to show, I really don't know though I suspect it is just that: wishing that we had never left the EU and they want us to go back.

I wonder whether they'll change their tune as (reportedly) the EU countries are sinking like we are, but possibly at a greater rate.

September 10, 2023, 01:35:34 PMBritish, I believe.  Read the lyrics of the usual popular songs at the end.

Personally, I think that England and Scotland would both benefit by trying to join together in spirit.
Nothing personal to you, Raven, but the impression I get is that there are quite a few Scots who dislike the English.
Unfortunately, I really don't know why that should be.

I don't think of myself as British, never have never will. Personally I don't hate the English people at all, though I do have issues with that lot in Westminster.
As for why some Scots hate the English, look at our history. The English have been trying to beat the Scots into submission for centuries. Since 2014 there's been a bit of a rebellion going on.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Alex on September 10, 2023, 01:57:35 PMWelsh dislike the English too  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

It's a pity that they come here to ravish the women folk then..
 At least Sam did..  :grin: :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

I know that there has been fighting between the Scots and the English, but didn't we once have a Scottish king?

Raven

Yes, and they tried to blow him up.  :rolleyes:

Anyway you have yanked this thread way off topic, it about Last Night of the Proms, not the Monarchy.

Cassandra

Quote from: Raven on September 10, 2023, 03:30:54 PMI don't think of myself as British, never have never will. Personally I don't hate the English people at all, though I do have issues with that lot in Westminster.
As for why some Scots hate the English, look at our history. The English have been trying to beat the Scots into submission for centuries. Since 2014 there's been a bit of a rebellion going on.

Exactly my feelings with regards to our great Scottish neighbours. I decry the 'Westminster lot' as much as many of you do - if not more!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

Rule, the dinghies,
The dinghies rule the waves.
Britain never never never
Shall be owt but slaves.

Cassandra

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 13, 2023, 01:44:55 PMRule, the dinghies,
The dinghies rule the waves.
Britain never never never
Shall be owt but slaves.

Words by Rishi Sunak
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]