Milk Bottle Tops

Started by Ashy, September 02, 2023, 08:14:27 PM

« previous - next »

Ashy

You may have noticed that most milk bottles now have a white or neutral plastic screw top. Apparently this is to make the tops more useful for recycling, even though very little of what we send for recycling is usable.

My question is - why do they put a screw cap on the bottle at all? We used to manage fine without them. Those of us who wanted a plastic cap simply owned our own one.

Alex

Never really thought about it  The plastic tops are certainly more convenient than the silver and red tops we used to try and stick back on the bottle. :grin:

Ashy

I used to make two little holes in mine as a rule. My point is they could still put the thread on the bottle, why must we throw the cap away every time?

klondike

They need some sort of top for transport.

Raven

I remember when we kids were wee that mum had a box full of the old type glass milk bottle tops, we also had to put all out silver paper from sweets n biscuits ect in the box, not screwed up either all folded neatly. She was very insisted about it too. She saved it all for something or other but I don't remember what it was. My mother always saved for good causes.

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on September 03, 2023, 07:55:30 AMThey need some sort of top for transport.
They have a seal on them that has to be coaxed off, that should be enough?

Scrumpy

I have noticed the white tops for all milk.. 
Why don't they just put milk in cartons.. Like they do custard.. !!!
We could then recycle the whole product.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I buy Cravendale milk and the screw cap is also the seal, no idea why but there's no extra seal under the top.  Morrisons milk has a seal and a screw cap :yay:

Scrumpy

Some of those milk tops are a bugger to unscrew.. I use a tool..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

the combined screw top and seal don't always work - I keep mine in the freezer until need. I usually let it defrost naturally in the kitchen, but sometimes - today is one such - I need to defrost it rapidly by dunking it into hot water for a while. In a couple of occasions the milk has actually leaked out.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]