Before and After

Started by Alex, August 31, 2023, 07:24:43 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Councils have a lot to answer for, all over the country beautiful old buildings have been demolished - instead of cleaned up. This is a particularly sad case, nobody to stop them I suppose a bit like Khan now.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Rather ornate old building just requiring some blasting or however they clean stone 

And after

Michael Rolls

yuck -as the then Prince of Wales would say - a carbuncle on the face of the city
[email protected]

Raven

I noticed on the News a while ago that old Victorian swimming pools that had been closed were being restored and brought back into use. I wish our old swimming bathes had been restored instead of flattened,they were great,so much better than what's in use in Perth now. I was always at ours when I was growing up, my mum worked there, 3 big pools one an Olympic size with a viewing gallery all round.

klondike

Those old buildings look far better but their energy efficiency is dire and they cost a fortune to run. Something the Palace of Westminster suffers but that, at least, is getting a major refurb. Anyway most waste there is down to the occupants not the buildings.

My council built new offices then went bust and sold the offices to a company that rents them back to the council. They are a joke. Conservative too.

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

It is so sad to see such beautiful buildings knocked down and replaced by ugly (things) that are cold with no character..
A couple of weeks back there was such an interesting building suspiciously burned out then knocked down.. by its owners.. I think it was a crooked pub..
In my area many old buildings have gone.. especially schools.. Nothing can replace them..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

My town preserves nothing. Philistines.

GrannyMac

This is the old swimming baths that is now a Wetherspoons pub, link in my previous post.  It used to be called The Deep End, I thought it was a good name!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

The Deep End.. Brilliant name..
We had  Cut Above .. Hair dresser.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Chip shops and tattoo parlours can often be inventive

The Cod Father
and
Needles and Skins

spring to mind but I've seen others.

Just remembered there's a

Sew and Sew near me - do alterations and sell sewing stuff.

Michael Rolls

In Leatherhead many years ago there was a chippy titled Chish & Fips, and if you needed to park, the arrow directed you to the Par Cark
[email protected]

Alex

Sell Fridges was another one for a discount white goods shop.

Sheila

We've got a chippy called Selfish here.  They do 50p portions of chips for those of us that want small portions.