Karen's.

Started by Raven, August 24, 2023, 10:52:41 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

I keep seeing this name being applied to stroppy females more and more. Anyone know Why?  :wtf:

It's a bit of a Scunner for anyone who is actually named Karen at birth, quite insulting IMO. :worried:

Alex

It might be seen as a slur by some, but I think it's kind of tongue in cheek.  :grin:

Michael Rolls

TBH I can't remember ever having met a lady named Karen
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I've heard it and know what it means. I think it's more of an insult than tongue in cheek though.

Will see if I can find origin

August 24, 2023, 02:14:55 PM
Well its defined in Wikipedia but I'm dubious about the suggested origins. Quick look doesn't come up with much - I think it maybe just started out with a real Karen and the usage spread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)#:~:text=It was popularized in the,been applied to male behavior.

Scrumpy

We used to call people Wilf if they were a bit thick..
We had a real Wilf in our village.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

It's a well used phrase but it does mean a woman who's entitled & often accompanied by being thick.

They seem pretty prevalent on the school run.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

It's certainly not a used word here. We have different names.  :wink:

Alex

JBR

I thought that a 'Karen' was a rather dim woman.  A bit like the male equivalent, 'Ken'.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: JBR on August 24, 2023, 07:08:23 PMI thought that a 'Karen' was a rather dim woman.  A bit like the male equivalent, 'Ken'.

:upvote:

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on August 24, 2023, 04:40:47 PMIt's certainly not a used word here. We have different names.  :wink:
Ok, McKaren.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Any female of a certain age who dares to have an opinion that isn't woke enough for some will get called Karen, similar vein to gammon.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

Quote from: GrannyMac on August 24, 2023, 08:55:38 PMAny female of a certain age who dares to have an opinion that isn't woke enough for son will get called Karen, similar vein to gammon.

Glad my lot aren't woke, can speak as I find, like I always have. If my son called me a Karen he'd be nursing a thick ear. :nooo:

GrannyMac

:grin: Typo. Some, not son. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

I have never heard the name 'Karen' being used around here..

August 25, 2023, 07:46:43 AM
Quote from: Diasi on August 24, 2023, 07:48:03 PMOk, McKaren.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..