Advise please.

Started by Scrumpy, August 09, 2023, 10:28:02 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

I have a Panasonic 3 handset phone.. 
The main phone with answer machine is still working.. One of the handsets is also working but one is not..
Can I replace ONE handset... ?
I searched on Amazon but am unable to find a handset of the same model number..
Does this mean that I have to replace all THREE handsets.. ?
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

If it is a full DECT phone then any full DECT phone will work. Google may help you determine that from the model number.

Don't forget Argos do quibble free returns so you could just get one (if they sell them) and try it. You will need to pair it with the base of course and will  probably need to check the docs for how to do that.

If you get stuck post the model number and I'll see if I can find out.

Alex

Didn't your phone conk out before ?  Maybe it's time for a new one.  I never use my house phone, it rings sometimes but mainly people phone me on my mobile. 

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 09, 2023, 10:28:02 AMI have a Panasonic 3 handset phone..
The main phone with answer machine is still working.. One of the handsets is also working but one is not..
Can I replace ONE handset... ?
I searched on Amazon but am unable to find a handset of the same model number..
Does this mean that I have to replace all THREE handsets.. ?
I always ask this but have you checked the batteries?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

The Argos Q&A suggest this will pair up with some other Panasonic set as both use GAP general access protocol. Something I'd not heard of but probably what I called full DECT capability.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9210688?clickSR=slp:term:dect%20phone%20panasonic:7:21:1

Odds are any Panasonic handset will do. Easy returns on Amazon too. May as well just try one out imo.

August 09, 2023, 10:45:38 AM
Quote from: Alex on August 09, 2023, 10:34:26 AMDidn't your phone conk out before ?  Maybe it's time for a new one.  I never use my house phone, it rings sometimes but mainly people phone me on my mobile.
I don't even have a landline now.

Alex

Oooh I like the white one. :grin:

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on August 09, 2023, 10:44:27 AMThe Argos Q&A suggest this will pair up with some other Panasonic set as both use GAP general access protocol. Something I'd not heard of but probably what I called full DECT capability.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9210688?clickSR=slp:term:dect%20phone%20panasonic:7:21:1

Odds are any Panasonic handset will do. Easy returns on Amazon too. May as well just try one out imo.

August 09, 2023, 10:45:38 AMI don't even have a landline now.
The GAP was brought in during the mid 1990s to try & standardise equipment so most, but not all, modern phones will be ok.

Certainly most of the Panasonic ones should work.

Personally I much prefer our landline but most people phone me on my mobile, although I usually make calls to their mobiles from the landline.

I suppose you lost your landline when you got FTTP which is why I probably won't subscribe to it.

I don't do streaming or gaming so 70 Mbps max in ok for my needs.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

When I first saw cordless sets way back there were some sets which came pre paired and you couldn't add to the set even though they were called DECT. Other DECT sets could have extra handsets paired with them. I called those full DECT but I guess the proper term was GAP.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on August 09, 2023, 10:54:24 AMWhen I first saw cordless sets way back there were some sets which came pre paired and you couldn't add to the set even though they were called DECT. Other DECT sets could have extra handsets paired with them. I called those full DECT but I guess the proper term was GAP.
The first cordless I had was in 1987 & it didn't have ramped ringing so the handset had a warning sticker on it which advised that ear damage may occur if it was held to the ear while it was ringing.

Well I can only speak for myself but I can't ever remember holding a phone handset to my ear before either I'd made the call or the phone had rung. Lol  :grin: 
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Model Number KX-TG732IE..

If I disconnected the lot of them can I put ANY PHONE.. ANY MAKE .. into the four telephone sockets.. ?
OR do they have to be the same.?  I would like different phones for different rooms..  Can I do this..?

Diasi.. I have checked the batteries..  Alex.. Yes, I have asked before .. But this time I am fed up with the lot of them..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 09, 2023, 11:13:42 AMModel Number KX-TG732IE..

If I disconnected the lot of them can I put ANY PHONE.. ANY MAKE .. into the four telephone sockets.. ?
OR do they have to be the same.?  I would like different phones for different rooms..  Can I do this..?

Diasi.. I have checked the batteries..  Alex.. Yes, I have asked before .. But this time I am fed up with the lot of them..
Yes, 4 individual plugin phones of any make & style is ok but make sure they each have an maximum REN of 1 as a total REN of more than 4 (the BT / Openreach stated maximum) might cause the phones not to ring.

They'd still make & receive calls, just not ring, in which case you'd have to upgrade the REN to 8 by means of an extension booster.

Just check or ask when you buy them.
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Thank you.. 
When looking on Amazon for a single phone they do not mention REN 1 in the description..
How do I know if I have the right one.. ?

klondike

If it's a DECT phone to replace the duff one REN is not applicable. You said you were considering phones to plug in the phone sockets and it's applicable then. It's only the sum of RENs for phones that plug into the phone sockets that matter. With a DECT set that's only the base unit.

In fact with modern phones REN probably doesn't matter either as they are not usually reliant on the ring capacitor in the master socket to ring.

Scrumpy

Can I just get a phone .. ? 
 Like the white one that Alex liked..  As long as it's not the main phone where the answer phone is..?

klondike

Yes you can carry on using the DECT set with however many work and add a phone that plugs in an available phone socket. You can forget about REN for sure if it's only two plugging in as most were REN 1 or less anyway.