are we really safe,

Started by alfred, January 17, 2022, 01:44:01 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

in the past many families particularly in the east end of London had very little in the home, and so the latch key kid was born ,that is for a child wanting to go home and not having a key would put his/her hand through the letter box and pull the string which on the other end had the door key on it,

of course there was nothing to steal as almost every one was in the same boat , and strangely enough there was always a copper walking down the street either morning or evening, strange when you think why the police when there was nothing to steal ,

today its almost the reverse as people have lovely homes and very well kept with nice furniture  with plenty of furnishings, t.vs, paintings  a house hold full of treasures, and so on , and yet you hardly if ever see a policeman let alone a police car going down your road or street,

how ever security cameras on most high streets  and many houses too,
so could insurance companies insist  that you have to have home security cameras to insure your house and contents from robbers and thieves ,

Q; is there another way to protect our selves in order to play safe,
what are your thoughts and will you share them with us,

Cassandra

•Stay home
•Wear a mask
•Wash your hands non stop
•Protect the NHS
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

Blimey Cass, Who's been yanking your chain the day?  [2080]

Michael Rolls

a noisy dog is a good deterrent, as is a picture of a Doberman at the gate captioned 'Come in burglar.  Make my day'
I have actually such a poster, but can't remember where - it was back in Surrey days
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

I've always felt reasonably safe in my road which is a cul-de-sac, but not any more.  New people have made me feel anxious and I keep hoping they don't know I live on my  own.  Paranoid ?  perhaps.  :worried:

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on January 17, 2022, 02:18:52 PM
I've always felt reasonably safe in my road which is a cul-de-sac, but not any more.  New people have made me feel anxious and I keep hoping they don't know I live on my  own.  Paranoid ?  perhaps.  :worried:

I sleep with my little 'protector' under the pillow ...

Alex

If it makes you feel safer Cass, then why not !   I don't think I'd be able to use a gun, they're scarier than the 'perceived' threat  :cowboy:

Wandering Walter

We have just renewed our House and Contents Cover via our Building Society they did not even ask what if any security measures we had put in place.

However we do have security measures in place which were easy to install , battery powered burglar alarm, Ring Doorbell Camera and Speaker , Ring Camera with spotlight and speaker to cover the back , good locks front and back, both garden sheds with stand alone PIR alarms , security lights side and rear and over front door side gate locked with flimsy flimsy trellis on top so they cant get around the back easily wheelie bins around the back so they can't jump up on them.

Local Police state that most burglars are opportunists, they look for a house that they can get round the back out of sight, flimsy locks , they don't want to be seen 

So far so good fingers crossed 

Wandering Walter

Quote from: Cassandra on January 17, 2022, 02:37:13 PM
I sleep with my little 'protector' under the pillow ...

Friends of ours live in Alabama a bit off the beaten track, they have at least one gun in every room of their house even in the garage and car

Michael Rolls

Back in the day, when I owned a S&W revolver, it was always to hand if needed. Thankfully, it never was. Now, in the famous American saying 'if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns'
Mike
[email protected]

Wandering Walter

Yes , if push comes to shove I still have my shotgun not too far away

Michael Rolls

I was a member of a rifle club and hearing of my home security, a member expressed concern. My reply? 'I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
Mike
[email protected]

Wandering Walter

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on January 17, 2022, 03:08:52 PM
If it makes you feel safer Cass, then why not !   I don't think I'd be able to use a gun, they're scarier than the 'perceived' threat  :cowboy:

I found it new, unfired and unregistered in a little box in one of the bedroom cabinet drawers. I've now made it's possession legal of course and have fired a number of it's large calibre shells on the range. It makes a hell of a lot of noise and over short distance, has a devastating effect. Having been shot to within a slivver of my life once and suffering a life-changing injury as a result; I would this time want to to be able to either prevent the event happening, or hopefully respond to my aggressor.

When I moved here, this is one of three guns, one long, another a magnum revolver that were included in the house's manifest.

Alex

Having been shot to within a slivver of my life once and suffering a life-changing injury as a result; I would this time want to to be able to either prevent the event happening, or hopefully respond to my aggressor.

My God that's awful Cass, did you think about a change of profession after that happened ?  I'm assuming it was 'work' related