taste that seem to last forever,

Started by alfred, June 10, 2023, 03:34:47 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

Although my late mother passed many years ago she was a very good cook and amongst many of her culinary delights was one that my wife my son and myself will always remember was one which was savoury mince meat , what ever she used  it was very tasty ,

over the years both my son and my wife tried many various was to replicate her tasty meal and we assume that  she must have had  a recipe of her own , even though  the normal recipe isnt any where near how my mother cooked it,

Q: so for many of you  chefs out there have you a recipe on how to cook a really savoury mince  meat dinner , if so will you share your thoughts with us ,

Sheila

I'm going to make some mince for dinner when it cools down a bit.  The temperature is 29 at the moment.

Fry chopped onion, add the mince and carry on frying.  Mix some cornflour with a little bit of water and when smooth, add more water.  Pour over the mince, add tomato puree, Worcester sauce, an Oxo cube, black pepper and maybe a few mixed herbs (if I can be bothered to go into the utility room to look for them).  I've got a feeling I've forgotten something.  Simmer gently for maybe 45 minutes.

Scrumpy

I always add chopped carrots .. 

June 10, 2023, 06:13:03 PM
My mum made a great bacon pudding..
Suet pastry .. bacon pieces.. onion ( fried)..
She would roll it up just like a jam roly poly.. wrap it in a cloth and steam it.. 
I can taste it as I speak..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I put carrots in mine too, and a rich beef stock pot so it doesn't often need any cornflour.  I haven't used Worcester Sauce so I'll give that a try next time  :upvote:

GrannyMac

Mince and tatties was a staple growing up!  We still have it, but as cottage pie, or the basis of a bolognaise sauce. Onions are a must, diced carrots sometimes.   

Its already warm, salad again for tea I think! 🥗
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Sheila

'Rich beef stock pot'.  What's that please Alex?

Scrumpy mentioned suet pastry.  One of my favorites is diced beef cooked all day in the slow cooker (with carrots) and then transfer it to a Pyrex dish, cover with suet pastry and cook in the oven until the pastry is crispy.  We don't have it often because it is not too healthy.

Alex

Quote from: Sheila on June 11, 2023, 06:47:46 AM'Rich beef stock pot'.  What's that please Alex?

Scrumpy mentioned suet pastry.  One of my favorites is diced beef cooked all day in the slow cooker (with carrots) and then transfer it to a Pyrex dish, cover with suet pastry and cook in the oven until the pastry is crispy.  We don't have it often because it is not too healthy.

Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pot Sheila, it's like a thick jelly in a little pot.   Is suet pastry easy to make? 
I buy Atora to make dumplings for stews but I've never tried pastry.

Raven

It has to be Stovies for us, my dad taught me to make them when I was about 12, that and soups were his specialty in the kitchen, I learned both.  :smiley:
I don't have an amount for ingredients just the list, I put in what ever I feel like when making them, often double up on the onions as we both love them. Always got some in the freezer as I make them in the big soup pot, usually 6 or 7 portions.

Sheila

Quote from: Sheila on June 11, 2023, 06:47:46 AM'Rich beef stock pot'.  What's that please Alex?

Scrumpy mentioned suet pastry.  One of my favorites is diced beef cooked all day in the slow cooker (with carrots) and then transfer it to a Pyrex dish, cover with suet pastry and cook in the oven until the pastry is crispy.  We don't have it often because it is not too healthy.
Thanks Alex.  I have used the chicken ones when I made soup but not the beef ones.

Suet pastry is very easy.  Half fat to SR flour.  (Same as dumplings)  Adding the right amount of water is the most difficult and I usually end up flattening it with my hands, putting a bit of flour on the worktop and some on my hands.  You can probably do a better job and it is tasty.  I sometimes add mixed herbs to both dumplings and pastry.  It's not really dumpling weather though!

klondike

Off topic but right on title topic

One taste that lasts forever with me or at least returns for a very long time is Frazzles - those bacon flavour reconstituted something or other with red brown stipes over a generally yellowish rectangle.

I do like them (Obviously. Bacon. Say no more)  but have stopped eating them because of that.

Michael Rolls

The Knorr beef stock is very good - often use it in beef or beef and venison casseroles
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

1955vintage

My mum said savoury mince and stews generally were based on trial and error and good quality ingredients. Keep trying until you get he blend, use good stock cubes (Oxo or Knorr) good mince and scatter the spices. Italian seasoning is good. Cook long and slow.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

GHF

My daughter-in-law makes a wonderful 'cow pie'
I don't know what she puts in it, I'm just happy
to eat it. When I'm invited over for a meal I
always request it.