Peerages,

Started by alfred, June 14, 2023, 03:10:05 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

Why is it that prime ministers  seem to select people that to my mind dont deserve  these titles, and the people who to my mind should get one is simply down to the fact its who you know and not what you've done , for example boris wanted his father to receive a knight hood for what ??

what has his  father done to deserve such an award , ?? and im sure you too could think of others who likewise get these titles for the money they contribute to the party , so are these titles really necessary  should they be done away with or awarded to real people who are genuine and have some out standing work  say helping others  and not thinking about them selves ,

Q;  what is your opinion regarding issuing gongs and titles to people who know the right people,  and not for any genuine work they have done
as usual your thoughts will make interesting reading,.

Diasi

Well Starmer got his Knighthood for doing bugger-all about Jimmy Savile.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

They should do away with this nonsense. :boo:

Scrumpy

It's like a private club..  :nooo: :boo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

With the members paid by us for signing in for a subsidised meal and booze.

Michael Rolls

What really is the point? Recognition of achievement is one thing, ploughing funding into a political party is quite another
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

Agree with Alex, peerages and titles for the chosen few, scrap them :yell:

Cassandra

Back scratching pay offs!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

On a loosely related topic, I'm not really 100% convinced about titles or gongs being withdrawn due to terribly poor behaviour which was unrelated to the reason they were given the award.

GrannyMac

Lots of people in Sheffield would nominate 'the man with the pram'.  John Burkhill has hit his target of £1million for Macmillan.   I see him from time to time, he's so positive, always put some small change in his bucket. He's 84 now.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/people-sheffield-karen-macmillan-cancer-support-united-b1083565.html
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

It is quite clear why these peerages are given: for personal reward of the giver.
Politicians are the people most likely to give, and expect to receive in return, rewards, and offering a peerage to a mate is both effective and cheap for the giver.

In line with the oft-suggested removal of the (corrupt) House of Lards, such hand-outs by politicians to their mates would end, and not before time.

Another reason why an upper house with seriously reduced numbers, and democratically elected membership, is desperately needed.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

Quote from: GrannyMac on June 14, 2023, 11:08:00 PMLots of people in Sheffield would nominate 'the man with the pram'.  John Burkhill has hit his target of £1million for Macmillan.  I see him from time to time, he's so positive, always put some small change in his bucket. He's 84 now.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/people-sheffield-karen-macmillan-cancer-support-united-b1083565.html
I agree.. The man with the pram has dedicated many years to raise funds for others..  Those prats in parliament just raise funds for themselves.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Better not tell you that my sister got an OAM in the King's Birthday and Honours List then, from the Australian Government.  :lipsrsealed:

Alex

Raven

Quote from: Alex on June 15, 2023, 06:29:06 PMWhat's an OAM ?

The Order of Australia is an honour that recognises Australian citizens and other persons for outstanding achievement and service. It was established on 14 February 1975 by Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia, on the advice of the Australian Government.