working from home,

Started by alfred, June 11, 2023, 08:38:23 AM

« previous - next »

Jacqueline

Quote from: GrannyMac on June 12, 2023, 07:59:52 AMHospitals, shops, almost every organisation relies on IT these days, and with the right equipment that work can be done anywhere.  Without their expertise, the country would be in deep trouble. 

And we wouldn't have a forum.  😉
I agree we have to have IT staff and they can work from anywhere, but do all the Civil Service staff do IT only and they all seem to be working from home?  

What about young people (or any person come to that) learning from older co workers in their office and batting around ideas. 

Young people spend too much time in the bedrooms online already, taking it to the world of work they won't learn any social skills at all.

Great for those who can work from home but too many people can't. 

klondike

IT work is usually done with groups and there needs to be good communication between those producing each part of the system. Without that you just get the sort of crap the government buys from outsourcers usually using Indians with fake qualifications and  that never works correctly.

It's true a lot can be done by individuals working from home or remote offices but you can't beat person to person interaction and one of the easiest ways that happens is in a single office environment.

JBR

It occurs to me that I could work from home.
After all, I have my own laptop, and I have plenty of experience...

of putting the world to rights, on internet groups like this one.
😎
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Jacqueline

It's a shame the RNLI and Borderforce are not working from home then they couldn't pick the illegals up at sea.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Michael Rolls on June 12, 2023, 12:18:23 PMhow do you repair a hernia, or carry out an organ transplant, from home? How does a nurse carry out a bed bath on a patinet from home? How do the bin men empty bins from home?
You don't. Its horses for courses as they say.  I've seen both sides, nurse daughter went to work all through lockdown. 

Son and daughter in law could work anywhere most of the time as their jobs are IT based.  They have colleagues world wide. Finance and pharma.  Meetings on Zoom and Teams.  I've had some of those as part of a group I'm involved in.  They work remarkably well.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Quote from: JBR on June 12, 2023, 04:57:44 PMIt occurs to me that I could work from home.
I already do for the majority of my hours in this 24x7 position as cantankerous old git.

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on June 12, 2023, 08:53:25 PMI already do for the majority of my hours in this 24x7 position as cantankerous old git.
Credit where credit's due.  You're very professional in your role.  One might even say a virtuoso😬🤣🤣

klondike

Many people say I'm trying.

Alex

Quote from: klondike on June 13, 2023, 07:25:22 AMMany people say I'm trying.

Lidl has got an " all things fishing " promotion this coming Thursday   :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

klondike

I thought it was funny that my Lidl in Northampton which has to be just about the furthest point from a coastline in the UK had a load of kit more suited to sea fishing than freshwater fishing last year, I expect it will be the same again. They really should have had that promo start last Thursday though as the river fishing season opens this Friday.

Alex

oh well it gives people a day to get kitted out then  :grin: