working from home,

Started by alfred, June 11, 2023, 08:38:23 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Where i live and im sure where you live too are many people working from home , as food prices and train fares , as well as almost everything else keeps rising  i assume it would and must be cheaper to work from home saving on fares, time , and convenience  in not having to go out in all sorts of weather then the journey home , thinking about what to cook for tea, 

do you think working from home will be popular in saving time, money,  as for small companies this too means they wouldn't have to rent office space at a premium,

Q;  what thoughts have you on working from home

Michael Rolls

mixed blessings. After all, many people can't work from home, some clearly are swinging the lead, for others it has genuine advantages both for the individual and the work for which he/she is responsible. When gainfully employed I quite often worked from home - after 1900 hours Monday-Friday and Saturday and Sunday!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

I would hate it, I enjoyed my working life and kept it totally separate from my home life. I had to retire early because of all the bother with my knees, I couldn't do my job properly as I spent a lot of time on my feet. I was just 50 when this happened and it made me so miserable.

Alex

It's more expensive to work from home in wintertime, as my DIL found out.  The heating costs were a lot more than petrol, lunch costs.

Raven

Quote from: Alex on June 11, 2023, 10:07:36 AMIt's more expensive to work from home in wintertime, as my DIL found out.  The heating costs were a lot more than petrol, lunch costs.

PLUS, All the interpretations, OH, Kids, Dog, Shopping, Folk dropping in, ect ect.
Lady I swim with at times worked from home, during the lockdown, thought it was great. Chose to keep doing it and ended up with a choice from her boss, losing her job or return to the office full time. She hardly got anything done, she went back to the office and is glad she did, she got back into the routine very quickly and the grumbles soon stopped.

klondike

I spent some time working from home. There can be a lot of distractions. I never thought about the heating but that was because my biggest distraction was at home anyway.

GrannyMac

I don't know if I would have liked it.  Certainly some of the work I did could have been done at home.  My son didn't enjoy WFH at the start of lockdown, but has got used to it, rarely goes into the office now.  My daughter in law did it before, IT contractor.  She took a permanent role during lockdown for the same company, she's now in the office at least twice a week.  She feels she's actually more productive WFH.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Jacqueline

All the real important jobs can't be done from home, Hospitals, Surgeries, Dentists, carers, supermarket and shops workers, supermarket delivery drivers, post delivery, lorry drivers, train staff. utilities front line workers, high street bank staff, post office staff, pub, hotel, catering staff,  and too many more to mention, in fact all the people who keep our day to day life going and that the workers from home couldn't do without.

One more thought, maybe our parliament should work from home as they don't seem to do much for us from their place of work do they?

klondike

Couldn't possibly do that. They'd only be able to claim one lot of expenses if they did.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on June 11, 2023, 11:53:36 AMCouldn't possibly do that. They'd only be able to claim one lot of expenses if they did.

I don't fancy the heating bills for their huge homes, and country houses.

Cassandra

Efficiency will inevitably suffer. Vaccination the 'WHO' admits only saved 4,000 lives in EUROPE as a whole (includes the UK) and 6,000 in the Americas.

Net debt when The Coalition Gove came to power was £800 billion, today it's £2.2 Trillion, thanks to the heinous improvision of three lockdowns.

Imagine the true cost in years to come, as lazy Gen 'Z's and Millenials screw the UK into home-worked National bankruptcy, by defraying it's already pathetic productivity levels off the scale?
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

The very thought has me shuddering.  :yell:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Jacqueline on June 11, 2023, 11:47:20 AMAll the real important jobs can't be done from home, Hospitals, Surgeries, Dentists, carers, supermarket and shops workers, supermarket delivery drivers, post delivery, lorry drivers, train staff. utilities front line workers, high street bank staff, post office staff, pub, hotel, catering staff,  and too many more to mention, in fact all the people who keep our day to day life going and that the workers from home couldn't do without.

One more thought, maybe our parliament should work from home as they don't seem to do much for us from their place of work do they?
Hospitals, shops, almost every organisation relies on IT these days, and with the right equipment that work can be done anywhere.  Without their expertise, the country would be in deep trouble. 

And we wouldn't have a forum.  😉
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

how do you repair a hernia, or carry out an organ transplant, from home? How does a nurse carry out a bed bath on a patinet from home? How do the bin men empty bins from home?
[email protected]