AI, Robotic Dogs.

Started by Raven, June 08, 2023, 10:52:43 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

AND, they are coming here to Dounreay just along the coast from us. :shocked:  Don't know what Dageus will do if he meets one of those on the beach at Sandside, :rolleyes:  we walk there sometimes as it's a change of scenery for me and different sniffs for him. :wink:
But I don't know what to make of it at all. I'm not a fan of AI it bothers me a lot. I doubt it will be "Planet of the Apes" next, but rather "Planet of the Robots" :angry:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-65832747

klondike

Would you prefer they strapped a camera to a real dog and set it wandering around in the reactor waste? 

This thing is in no way a dog that's just mis reporting. It's a machine that has been built for a specific purpose. No AI either - it's just remote controlled by people.

Raven

klondike

I just see it as something they are using to clear up the site of a reactor that is being decommissioned. It was designed with legs to move around and for some reason they are likening it to a dog. It has nothing to do with a dog other than the legs. They could have decided on cat for that matter donkey. I'm guessing it was size that ruled out donkey. It gets steered around by remote control like a model car. No intelligence in the machine at all other than maybe some smart circuitry to help stop it falling over and becoming a stranded tortoise.

Raven

I hope your right, maybe I'm just too suspicious of all things robotic and AI.

klondike

Robot in this case just means mechanical. TBH I don't see why they aren't using drones they are reliable and pretty cheap as such things go these days. Perhaps they want the things to handle the material in some way and can't using standard drones.

Raven

Himself may find out on Saturday if we go to the village pub, quite a lot of the folk there work at Dounreay.