school meals and obesity,.

Started by alfred, June 08, 2023, 09:04:04 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

reading of late of some children having nice hot school meals ,  many children as  we all know went to the local fish and chip shop , and chips isn't beneficial when it comes to many becoming obese,,
surely its time that this and future governments ensured that the return of school meals would be mandatory if child obesity is to be remedied   other wise the obese children will be future hospital patients in later life if not corrected now in their early years,

Q;  what thoughts have you on children not eating a balanced meal in stead of fast food some ending with health results in later life,.

klondike

Recalling the menus of school meals in my day I doubt they were very healthy. Filling maybe but that's about it. I recall one boy who hated all the standard choices and had mashed spuds and grated cheese every day. The one I hated was called brown stew iirc. It was mashed spuds accompanied by unidentifiable veg and gristle in gravy and pretty much inedible. I remember I got a detention once when a teacher saw me using it to glue a pile of plates together for return.

Alex

There's sugar in everything today isn't there?
Times have changed so much since we were kids and our Mums were there to cook a good meal.  Nowadays a lot of Mums work too, so 'quick' overrides goodness

Raven

I feel the obesity problem is more lack of exercise than what's in the school meals. If the kids were not messing about on their phones and sitting around they would easily work it off.
I love the idea that the Chinese Schools have where they exercise dance before going into lessons.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on June 08, 2023, 09:17:52 AMRecalling the menus of school meals in my day I doubt they were very healthy. Filling maybe but that's about it. I recall one boy who hated all the standard choices and had mashed spuds and grated cheese every day. The one I hated was called brown stew iirc. It was mashed spuds accompanied by unidentifiable veg and gristle in gravy and pretty much inedible. I remember I got a detention once when a teacher saw me using it to glue a pile of plates together for return.
It wasn't until I had school dinners that I realised that proper custard was lumpy & should be chewed.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

They trusted us with knives so we could cut it up  :grin:

Alex

Quote from: Raven on June 08, 2023, 10:30:09 AMI feel the obesity problem is more lack of exercise than what's in the school meals. If the kids were not messing about on their phones and sitting around they would easily work it off.

Also true  :upvote: