Get the bunting out..

Started by Scrumpy, May 01, 2023, 09:36:04 AM

« previous - next »

1955vintage

If they held the Coronation in my back garden, I'm not sure I would draw the curtains.

But the best argument for keeping the monarchy is President Blair. A self serving politician to replace the King........Charlie shades it.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

klondike

I'd be interested to hear what the proposed alternative is.

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on May 02, 2023, 04:57:13 PMI'd be interested to hear what the proposed alternative is.

Wonderful alternatives, in reality a contest between two Nett zero ideologues. One a schematic Globalist using the climate to skewer the populations where he can. The other a worn out Vegan clothes horse, out of tune and mercifully out of time.

Nigel Farage for PM and a vastly dumbed down Monarchy.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

1955vintage

I thought Andrew and Harry had dumbed down the monarchy already, especially with their appaling taste in wives.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

GrannyMac

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 01, 2023, 11:32:42 AMThere is nothing else to watch Alex.. Married at First Sight would have ended..
There's always the version set in Oz. 😊
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Quote from: Diasi on May 02, 2023, 03:51:03 PMJust because it's part of our heritage is no reason to keep it, just like the slave trade was part of our heritage & was abolished.
There is every reason to keep it..
We hear the words 'Where is my England'?
' Everything is changing '.. 

Too many (visitors)..  and people are not happy with the 
change... Once our monarchy has gone.. That is our England gone.. IMO..

May 02, 2023, 07:19:16 PM
Quote from: GrannyMac on May 02, 2023, 06:01:19 PMThere's always the version set in Oz. 😊
We are on it already...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

I'm quite surprised that the monarchies of Europe have survived the european union, as it has half a dozen presidents, I don't think kings and queens figure in their plans.

klondike

Are we allowed to say queens these days?

dextrous63

It's an interesting point.  What would have happened if Charles had identified as a female.  Would we call it/they/them (or whatever the correct PC term is) Queen Charles?

klondike

I guess in that case queen would have been one of its pronouns.

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on May 02, 2023, 09:23:59 PMI guess in that case queen would have been one of its pronouns.
Instead of Ar$e Bandit?

klondike

No word censor here either. 

As it is plain to anybody with eyes and a brain cell what most (all?) obfuscations mean there seems little point in having one. 

Diasi

Quote from: 1955vintage on May 02, 2023, 04:47:36 PMIf they held the Coronation in my back garden, I'm not sure I would draw the curtains.

But the best argument for keeping the monarchy is President Blair. A self serving politician to replace the King........Charlie shades it.
But Blair, like all PMs, was a President in all but name & Lizzie Windsor had no say in what decisions he took.

All the UK needs to do is ditch the name Prime Minister & replace it with President, as they're one & the same thing. 
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I may be wrong but I think most people are either pro monarchy or pretty much ambivalent with those detesting it in a minority. The same can't be said of PMs. Do you really want King Rishi or the soon to be King Keith? How about Queen Theresa? Charles may have plenty of faults but I'd take him over all of those any day.

If they reintroduced the method used for getting rid of Charles I for any future PM Kings I may be persuaded to change my mind.

Ashy

Kings and queens have been popular characters in the past. King George VI was popular and so was the late Queen, we shouldn't therefore be too hasty to do away with the monarchy. Even so I draw the line at adulation.