Avaricious Apple

Started by Michael Rolls, April 24, 2023, 07:06:59 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

My iPhone is some 6 years old and the battery refuses to accept a charge. I am on Three network, so went into the shop in Perth. Can the battery be replaced? Apple don't sell replacement batteries, and whilst in theory the battery can be replaced, it would be by someone not recognised by Apple, with no Apple guarantee. So, thinking it over, I decided it was time for a new phone. No problem. The current iPhone is a bit bigger than the old one, so the case won't fit. New case needed. The charger for the old phone won't work with the new one – new charger needed. So, what seems to be a deliberate Apple policy to ensurer that a replacement phone, plus bits and pieces, are needed. Profit and sod the customer. Why am I not surprised?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Yet you are buying another Apple iPhone?

A halfway decent Android phone from a known brand can be had for around £200. Most iPhones cost a multiple of that. If instead of spalshing a grand+ buying one you take an iPhone on contract rather than a £200 phone and either a PAYG SIM or a SIM only monthly deal they think you must be made of money and help you lighten the load.

Michael Rolls

well, it works with my iPad and for a technophobe such as myself it is an easy option
[email protected]

dextrous63

The charging cables for Androids have also changed, as well as the newer kindles.

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on April 24, 2023, 07:06:59 PMMy iPhone is some 6 years old and the battery refuses to accept a charge. I am on Three network, so went into the shop in Perth. Can the battery be replaced? Apple don't sell replacement batteries, and whilst in theory the battery can be replaced, it would be by someone not recognised by Apple, with no Apple guarantee. So, thinking it over, I decided it was time for a new phone. No problem. The current iPhone is a bit bigger than the old one, so the case won't fit. New case needed. The charger for the old phone won't work with the new one – new charger needed. So, what seems to be a deliberate Apple policy to ensurer that a replacement phone, plus bits and pieces, are needed. Profit and sod the customer. Why am I not surprised?
I have never had a Crapple phone, and never will.
Not only are they over-expensive, they have put in place restrictions to prevent anything other than once you're in, you're in!

I have a Galaxy S8 and find that does everything I want, and I have never had any problems with it.

Re. Dex's comment, I have not seen any changes in charging cables, other than the change some time ago to reduce the size of the USB plug, and the converters (if needed) are very common and cheap.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

The small USB connector that goes into just about every electronic consumer device apart from those made by Apple is on its third iteration (I think) it went from mini to micro which, like the bigger end, has three orientations and only one fitted correctly. These were 
1 won't go in  so turn over
2 still won't go in so turn over again
3 bloody hell it goes in now why didn't it when I first tried

Now we have the USB C connector which goes in either way up and is much better. I think Apple were ahead of the game on this as one of their entirely proprietary connectors that nothing else uses went in either way up before USB C came along.

dextrous63

I had an S7 for many years until recently when it started to lose its charge a bit too quickly.  My daughter upgraded he phone and so I got this iPhone as a hand me down.  Very happy with it.

I still use the S7 for listening to music and watching videos.  Makes sense not to over use the iPhone for these purposes.

Michael Rolls

I don't use the phone for music or films - screen much too small as far as I am concerned for the latter. It just gets used - about ten times a week - as a phone, and about as often as a camera.
[email protected]

klondike

You only need a Nokia brick then - even they had cameras although not very good ones.

Diasi

On listening to iPhone users the only point in having an iPhone seems to be able to say "I have an iPhone" in order to, what they think, impress people.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Diasi

But at first glance I thought it was going to be a thread about a cross-pollinated avacado & apple.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

I've got an i phone but I could'nt get used to it !   I'm back with a Samsung Galaxy, much easier to use and as far as I can see it does all the same things an i phone does.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Diasi on April 25, 2023, 09:20:14 AMOn listening to iPhone users the only point in having an iPhone seems to be able to say "I have an iPhone" in order to, what they think, impress people.
Well, I have an iPhone not to impress, but because it links seamlessly with my iPad which I use as a reader. Holding proper books of any size tires my gammy arm very quickly, hence the iPad, upon which I have over 900 books - even if I wanted to, no way could I find space for 900 proper books in addition to the 400 or so I already have
[email protected]