Nurses' strike

Started by Michael Rolls, April 21, 2023, 08:23:40 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on April 22, 2023, 09:24:10 PMThe law states there has to be a minimum of 50% voting turnout and 40% in favour of striking.  Not sure whether this is 40% of the total who are eligible to vote, or 40% of those who actually voted.  Either way, it's obviously not a majority that's required.

It's 40% of those who voted, so 40% of 50% of the voting members.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

Thanks again Diasi.  So, theoretically, as few as 20% could force strike action.  Scarey!!

Michael Rolls

absolutely - and quite wrong
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Anyway, doesn't seem to have been the case with nurses

In July 2022, the RCN and four other trade unions called for a pay award of 5% above inflation (RPI).
We can now share the results, which are as follows:
  • 60.29% of eligible members took part in the ballot.
  • 84.62% of members voted in favour of action short of strike.
  • 55.56% of members voted in favour of strike action.

Michael Rolls

those numbers are misleading. It says, for example, 84.62% of members voted in favour of action short of strike - but only 60.29% took part - so it is 84.62% of 60.29% or 51.01% - a very different picture, a very narrow majority, not the overwhelming one implied. The numbers supporting striking were 55.56% of 60.29% or 47.01%. There is still a majority of those voting, but the picture being portrayed is an exaggeration.
Also, I see that the ballot took place in July 2022. Ballots have a life of 6 months unless union and employers agree to an extension to nine months. I have seen no indication that this is the case here.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

If you applied those rules to council elections though few councils would have much more than 10% of the electorate putting them there. I'd say in any vote the only ones who matter are those that voted. No British government I'm aware of was ever voted in by a majority of the electorate. 

You are using the Remainer's argument that there was no majority for Leave. No vote = no say and take any consequencies.

dextrous63

By jimminy, you're right Mike.  I took the figures at face value, but they don't correspond at all.

Michael Rolls

Remainer? Moi? Please sir! No, just pointing out that those figures quoted give an exaggerated picture. I agree with you that only votes cast can count - but the legislation around strike action require a minimum 50% turnout and a majority of votes cast - which is the case here, although much closer than a simple look would indicate. What I find more intriguing is the date of that ballot (unless there has been a subsequent one, of course of which I am unaware).
[email protected]

klondike

but the legislation around strike action require a minimum 50% turnout

Good job they don't apply that rule to council elections or there would be no councils. The way things are going nationally there is an outside chance that the turnout at the next General election may not make 50%. Huge numbers of people must feel disenfranchised.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on April 23, 2023, 08:34:07 AMAnyway, doesn't seem to have been the case with nurses

In July 2022, the RCN and four other trade unions called for a pay award of 5% above inflation (RPI).
We can now share the results, which are as follows:
  • 60.29% of eligible members took part in the ballot.
  • 84.62% of members voted in favour of action short of strike.
  • 55.56% of members voted in favour of strike action.

Anyone else puzzled?

Although only 60.29% of members took part in the ballot, those members form a 100% group of voting members.

How can 84.62% vote against strike action & 55.56% vote in favour of strike action?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Diane Abbott did the figures maybe  ?

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on April 23, 2023, 04:15:05 PMAnyone else puzzled?

Although only 60.29% of members took part in the ballot, those members form a 100% group of voting members.

How can 84.62% vote against strike action & 55.56% vote in favour of strike action?
I'm not impressed with the figures who voted for strike action, whichever way you play it.

An alternative system would be to allow those who want to strike to do so, but invite anyone else to continue working if they so wish.

I'm sure that would persuade the strikers not to bother, as more of their colleagues seem not to agree with them!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Diasi on April 23, 2023, 04:15:05 PMAnyone else puzzled?

Even more puzzling than I thought - unless the ballot paper allowed voters to tick both options - which seems mad
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

just checked. There was a further ballot - 2/11/22 which was subject to the six month time limit - so that original post is out of date. Presumably, somewhere the figures for that later ballot are available. Counting up on my fingers, I make six months from 2/11/22 to be up on 1/5/23, so the action proposed for 2/5/23 is surely outside the limit.
[email protected]