food shortages,/gardens to the rescue,

Started by alfred, April 21, 2023, 03:41:35 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

As we all know what with the current events of for many people having to go to food banks could people who have a garden start to grow their own veg  , much similar to the Victorian who although at the time then had a very large garden split in half one for flowers and shrubs and the other half simply for the veg that they needed,

of course not every one has a garden if they have it might be a bit small but with ingenious ideas could use  even the smallest of spaces to grow some thing or other like say potatoes, for a start  ,
as the Tesco advert used to say every little helps,

Q ;  are you into growing your own , if so will you share your thoughts and ideas  may be to help others ,

dextrous63

We grow tomatoes and broccoli in a bed, and will grow herbs, peas, sprouts in some buckets.  Might not be much, but deffo tastes better and every little helps.

Raven

Up at the farm I have a kitchen garden that I have planted out for several years. Potatos, onions, carrots, peas, chives, beets, few lettuce as we are not big fans. In the greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers.
At my own home in Perth I grow potatoes in a long deep trough. Also tomatoes in the greenhouse.
Don't think I'll be using the kitchen garden this year as I'm not able yet, unless Dunc has planted it for me. Should be able to harvest it myself later in the year if he has. 🤞🏻 I'll sort the greenhouse once I get back up north.

Alex

I grow herbs in pots, chives and parsley usually.  I did have a crack at tomatoes in a grow bag but that was a  disaster !

Scrumpy

I have mint in the garden.. Used to grow tomatoes in hanging pots.. 
 I have a trough .. and keep meaning to grow something in it.. but it never gets done..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

They are excellent for dandelions groundsel and chickweed in my experience.

Alex

I've got a wonderful show of dandelions this year ! :upvote:

Raven

Quote from: Alex on April 22, 2023, 08:31:05 PMI've got a wonderful show of dandelions this year ! :upvote:

The bees will love you for it.  :yay:

Scrumpy

I haven't cut my grass yet because the grass seed I threw down some weeks ago has actually started to grow.. It is a beautiful green..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

good luck if you live in parts of Devon ... Southwest Water announces theres a hosepipe ban from now on!

They need it to help out with their 90.6 megalitre losses a day!   Investing in new reservoirs is not a consideration, as of course restricting the customer is cheaper and therefore so rewarding.

Just in time for the local elections too!

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...