child games from the past ,

Started by alfred, April 21, 2023, 03:04:21 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

I suppose  age comes into it like everything else but recently when surfing  you tube in one country where by and by the way how people live i saw a hopscotch  chalked out on a street pavement  i wonder do children in the u.k still play this game, as many years ago many pavements had chalk marks where by 
this game occupied little minds , which was simple and harmless in itself ,

Q; what other games do you recall , where simple games were the order of the day long before the electronic age was formed.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I've seen hopscotch chalked on the pavement relatively recently. I must admit I was surprised as I thought it was a thing of the past.

We played conkers in the season and a variety of games of marbles. I've not heard the cry of  "little finger flicksies only" in decades now though. The world was once a lot simpler.

Raven

Skipping.
Handstands.
Scrap Swop.
Doublers.
Jacks.

klondike

There were some pretty lethal playground games. We had one which I think we called Kingy  - there may or may not have been rules but from memory it was just hurling a tennis ball as hard as you could at others. I recall my parents getting a letter and possibly being asked to pay for a window I broke playing it - I never was much cop at ball games.

Winter it was slides on the frosty playground. Apart from not getting frosts like we used to I expect such dangerous pursuits would be out the window these days. As would Kingy.

Raven

Yes we did the playground slides as well, great fun wizzing along them till the Janny came and put salt n sand on them.  :angry: I'd have a heart attack if I saw one now, thanks to ice I'm still stuck in Perth with a buggered up leg.  [1110]  [1080]  [1090]

Michael Rolls

I'd forgotten conkers! The way we played it, if you defeated someone's conker, you added its score to your own, so a 'oner' could become a 'hundreder' with a bit of luck. Gawd - that was over 75 years ago!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

The boys played a game called Pinner, never knew how it worked. Skipping games that stretched across the street, few cars, were popular. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Hi Alfred, good to see you back  !   :upvote:
Skipping was one I remember and hide and seek of course.  Now I look back, this was a bit dangerous as we'd be in and out of half demolished terraced houses, wouldn't be allowed nowadays of course.

Scrumpy

The park was our back garden and we used to go off for hours.. We would pull up the ferns and use them as spears.. Friendly gang fights..  :nooo:
Kiss chase.. Conkers and marbles.. Knock -down-ginger.. 
When the ice and snow came we made slides on the pavement and a sledge run down Break Neck.. which was a steep hill down a valley that headed towards the lake..  No necks were broken..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..