Horrific

Started by Alex, April 16, 2023, 04:35:35 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Three beautiful horses have died this weekend at Aintree.  For what  ?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1647291738816491520

Raven

I HATE HATE HATE The Grand National, :angry:  I know only too well that horses like to race, and enjoy it too BUT add in those jumps, and it turns lethal. :yell:
While I agree with the Protesters it should be stopped I don't agree with their methods. :nooo:
Pity the jockeys were not the ones who always got maimed or died, while the horses stayed fine, it might actually get stopped then.

Michael Rolls

there have been one jockey killed in the GN, Joseph Wynne, back in 1862 - but I don't like the race - it just sets out to be the ultimate test of steeplechasers, and I think that it overdoes it
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

I agree with the above.
I find it disgusting that animals must be killed simply so that mentally-challenged people with lots of money can enjoy themselves.

I wonder how many of them have stated that they detest the inhuman bullfighting which the Diegos enjoy.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Quote from: Raven on April 16, 2023, 05:14:00 PMI HATE HATE HATE The Grand National, :angry:  I know only too well that horses like to race, and enjoy it too BUT add in those jumps, and it turns lethal. :yell:
While I agree with the Protesters it should be stopped I don't agree with their methods. :nooo:
Pity the jockeys were not the ones who always got maimed or died, while the horses stayed fine, it might actually get stopped then.

Absolutely, let them race on the flat, they love it, but Jumps are anarchical. The method of protest, typical idiocy by the 'rent a mob' superglue cast of maniacal zealots, homogenous to so many seams of angst in these crazy times. However that said, the animals can't protest for themselves? Today it seems reasoned debate carries no weight in achieving anything beyond extending a case into decisional inertia.

How about a European Court of Animals rights?

Perhaps the 'jumps' could become like the 'hurdles' in Athletics, but personally I'd do away with it entirely. I love my horses as the family members they are and would never stress or gamble with their lives. Lets remember to the owners and trainers they are primarily a subject of profit! Whilst I'm sure they are treated well, they're little more than gladiators selected for the modern colosseums. Something gone since Roman times!

What enjoyment can there be for anyone to attend an affair where three beautiful creatures have died in such horrible circumstances. I'd have gone home ashamed at having supported such a contest ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on April 16, 2023, 04:35:35 PMThree beautiful horses have died this weekend at Aintree.  For what  ?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1647291738816491520
I wouldn't have clicked on the link if I'd known it was going to show a horse being killed.

I assume it's the one that broke it's neck so it probably died instantly.

The race organisers know this is guaranteed to happen which is why screens are in place ready to be used.

I absolutely love it when a jump jockey ends up paralysed & in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

It's just a shame there isn't one for every jump horse that dies.

https://bit.ly/3L5si9Z
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Jacqueline

There was a chap on TV this morning saying how many racehorses end up as horsemeat if they don't make the grade.

As a a young woman I used to love Greyhound racing, my aunt owned racing Greyhounds, but I now know what cruelty is involved and how these poor animals land up sent abroad to even worse conditions or dumped for the Greyhound Trust to rehome the lucky ones when they don't make the grade racing.

The same applies to horse racing, yes the top horses are well looked after, but as the man on TV said this morning many become horsemeat, as horrible as it is I am glad that we are being told this, we should be far more aware of the life and treatment of a racehorse, and races like the Grand National involving jumps should be banned completely, too many horses die. For once I am with the protesters over this.

klondike

My neighbours take on retired racing Greyhounds. They currently have three. It was four until one died quite recently.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on April 17, 2023, 06:55:53 PMMy neighbours take on retired racing Greyhounds. They currently have three. It was four until one died quite recently.
Our daughter, well my stepdaughter, had a rescue female greyhound & she was a really lovely gentle dog. 
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Yes one of my neighbours in England had one. Prince both by name and nature - a rescue dog, ex track. A beautiful creature to watch running in the surf and I swear he used to laugh his head off at wee Albert chugging along behind, tongue hanging out. When they met up this odd pair were simply inseparable. He was a wonderful companion to his owner as well.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

sister of one of Veronica's friends has two ex-racing greyhounds - lovely dogs
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]