Happy Birthday, James

Started by Michael Rolls, April 13, 2023, 06:19:10 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Surely James Bond is all 'tongue in cheek' stuff.. 

Michael Cain would have been a great Bond.. IMO.

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

No, no - as Dextrouse says, they're documentaries  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on April 14, 2023, 09:21:48 AMMichael Cain would have been a great Bond.. IMO.

Wrong accent - he only did one so for as I recall regardless of role.  He was well suited to playing Harry Palmer the downbeat spy but not the upper echelon Bond.

Michael Rolls

agree - he even appeared in an historical drama (can't remember its name) as the only 15th century French aristocrat with an underlying Cockney accent (although he managed to stifle it in Zulu)
[email protected]

klondike

Michael Rolls

yes, that's it - thanks. Memory - it was 13th century, not 15th, and he was Czech nobleman, not French, but apart from that.......
[email protected]

dextrous63

I thought he was excellent playing the funny little chap in Ryan's daughter.  Everyone thought it was John Mills playing it, but it was old Cainey boy.

klondike

I've grabbed Medieval as it was in the Emporium. Doesn't get very good ratings but hack and slash movies rarely do. I'll a least make a start on watching it if only to see something recent from him. A cockney nobleman eh?

dextrous63

I thought he was also excellent as the toothless little Tibetan monk in the Man who would be King.  

I wonder who the Caine lookalike was who played Sean Connery's friend?

dextrous63

In any case, Caine has already been in at least two Bond movies.  Once as Goldfinger's Oddjob, and the other as Scaramanga's Nick nack.

He might also have played the assassin Jaws, but under a different pseudonym.

klondike

Well it's certain that very few people know any of that  :grin:

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

dextrous63

Plus he played the part of Noel Coward in The Italian Job