First pair of varifocals

Started by klondike, April 11, 2023, 01:16:00 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

A little strange at first but I'm sure I'll get used to them.

My basic prescription is a fairly weak one for distance glasses. I can't focus on anything close up with them on though so they either spend a lot of the time perched on top of my head or more usually just get left off.

I can get by pretty easily without reading glasses too but not for anything delicate close up.

Now I find I can get a sharp focus everywhere but do need to find it and have to move my head more. A sideways glance is a fuzzy one.

morty

I've heard people say they can take a bit of getting used to .... you might even feel a little nauseous and sick at first because things seem to move as they shouldn't.... but on the whole far preferable to bifocals. Good luck and stick with it.

klondike

I obviously tried them in the shop but  was advised not to put them on till I got home. I've never had bifocals just distance glasses and cheap reading glasses for the stupid labels they put on some things in tiny typeface and low contrast.

The very first time I wore any glasses felt very odd. Like I was stilt walking but that oddity just went away.

GrannyMac

I wear varifocals, and I'm comfortable with them. I've had distance glasses since my teens, over 60 years!  TBH I still read pretty well without them, I'm not wearing them now. But I can't watch TV, or drive without them.  And although I used to be able to identify hallmarks without them, not any more. I sort out the jewellery in the charity shop, a gold hallmark is a nice find.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I'll wear these non stop to try to get used to them. They seem reasonably natural now but I'm used to a slight soft focus anyway as I rarely wear my distance glasses. It's odd how just a slight movement can snap things into sharp focus. Perhaps I'll get the benefit of the 4k TV but probably not with a lot of the stuff I watch which predates even HD.

As an aside HD can be so cruel to those on camera these days. I remember a young lady with stunning hair recently which was so obviously extensions. She'd have got away with it in days of yore.

Alex

Don't come downstairs in them Klondy !   :grin:

Sheila

Quote from: Alex on April 11, 2023, 03:36:32 PMDon't come downstairs in them Klondy !  :grin:
Or down an escalator!

klondike

I think I did already. I don't have a strong prescription so the distortions are minor. No worse than 4 or 5 tinnies  :grin: