Why are these things still sold

Started by klondike, April 03, 2023, 06:37:20 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

I mentioned Amazon retuns in Whatcha doing today but I think this one is worth a separate mention.,,

I get dry eye which mostly plays me up indoors where the humidity is usually lower than outside so I thought I'd try a humidifier. I picked an ultrasonic one. It was on for a couple of hours and had little effectr on the room humidity but my Amazon air quality meter did telll me that my air quality was poor due to high particulates. As it is a rather sensitive thing which I call my fart detector for reasons I won't go into I ignored that and turned it from auto to high. Particulates went up but humidity didn't by any great degree so it was going back as ineffective but I thought I'd google ultrasonic humidifier particulates.

Bit of a shocker. It seems it is known and the particulates are the salts that are dissolved in tap water. Umpteen reports and many say the particulates are potentially harmful. Why are these things still in the shops?

A typical report...

https://dynomight.net/humidifiers/#:~:text=2.5%20%CE%BCg%2Fm%C2%B3.-,Ultrasonic%20humidifiers%20can%20create%20particles,lead%20to%20high%20particle%20levels.

JBR

I think the really gripping question is whether or not farts contain particulates.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

I bought one a couple of years ago but I stopped using it after there was a warning about the potential for it to cause a similar condition to Legionnaires' Disease.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: JBR on April 03, 2023, 07:36:53 PMI think the really gripping question is whether or not farts contain particulates.
Farts are volatile organic compounds. Unless they are really bad news farts.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on April 04, 2023, 12:16:34 AMFarts are volatile organic compounds. Unless they are really bad news farts.
Underpants can be a good indication as to whether or not farts contain particles.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on April 04, 2023, 10:46:16 AMUnderpants can be a good indication as to whether or not farts contain particles.
My underpants are pristine.  You could wash your face with my underpants.

Of course, I haven't put them on yet.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Sheila

I had a non-contagious form of TB. This can be caused by showers (I soak my shower head in white vinegar regularly), compost etc.  I'd not heard of an air quality meter.  What made you buy one klondike?
I had to take seven antibiotics a day for eighteen months and was really not very well!  I'm off to google air quality meters now!

klondike

What made you buy one klondike?

I live on  a main road and have asthma (maybe) I was diagnosed with it years ago following a bad episode with really severe breathing difficulties after raking a lawn. I use the inhalers and have never had an attack since.  There is a family history of it. My aunt had it, my son has it and so does one on my daughters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/amazon-smart-air-quality-monitor-know-your-air/dp/B08X2V5K28/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1RGSHL1D5I019&keywords=air+quality+monitor&qid=1680607740&sprefix=air+quality+%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I wondered if the air qualiry in my home was poor. It isn't. Except that the thing is a bit stupid with VOCs as cooking, cleaning stuff with solvents etc. can cause it to say the air quality is poor. So far I have survived many supposedly lethal exposures to scrambled egg on toast or pretty much any cooked food.