Hearts on Demand?

Started by zoony, January 12, 2022, 12:56:27 PM

« previous - next »

Wandering Walter

Quote from: klondike on January 13, 2022, 12:32:31 PM
They were trying to grow some body parts in vitro from stem cells but maybe a heart is too complex for that. It does serve a simple function but I guess reliabilty issues would rule out anything artifical.

My Dad had a Pacemaker fitted when he was about 60 years of age due to angina , every so often he would go to hospital to have it checked and how the tiny battery was doing , he called it his service and MoT akin to adjusting his tick over on his car.

Yes after all the heart is a muscle powered means of pumping blood and oxygen around the body for years and years all being well, perhaps one day they maybe able to replicate it and be able to service it or replace it  quickly when needed

zoony

I was reading about piggy-back transplants (nowt to do wi' pigs. :wink:) whereby the old heart is left where it is and a machine takes over for a while (can't remember how long) before they kick-start the old one up again..It often works fine after that.  Bit weird but I can't remember the article very well..

1955vintage

This will give the Muslims and Jews a predicament....
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

zoony

I'm sure there'll be exemptions where health is concerned, there usually are..

Diasi

Quote from: zoony on January 13, 2022, 04:51:48 PM
I'm sure there'll be exemptions where health is concerned, there usually are..

Which makes the religious requirements an even bigger load of bollocks than it already is.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

1955vintage

I have an ICD (built in defibrillator) installed in my chest by my left shoulder. The local heart team monitor it from  the wifi connection next to the bed.

Ruins the sex life.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off