a lovely suprise,

Started by alfred, July 17, 2022, 09:05:22 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Not that long ago i saw a plant healthily growing up against one of my fences and on closer inspection it had rose hips on it an abundance of berries , since then iv found that these berries can be sewn and grown from seeds, evidently these plants can come in several varieties, the plant shows bright pink flowers before the rose hips appear ,

i wondered where this plant had come from as i have never bought rose hips in any form or other, so perhaps a bird must have dropped a rose hip ,as iv lived at my current address for over thirty years , before the berries arrived i did wonder what sort of plant it was , of course now i know,

Q;  have you had a nice surprise by finding plants or even shrubs growing happily in your garden and wondered who planted them or did nature in the shape of our feathered friends drop them from some where else,

i look forward to reading your comments

klondike

Sounds like a dog rose to me which grow wild in many places so yours would certainly have been delivered by a bird.

Another cultivated plant that also grows wild can appear up on chimney tops and other inaccessible places is the buddleia or butterfly bush which has large sprays of usually blue/mauve flowers although other colours are quite common.

The tenacity of wild plants and their ability to survive even against the mechanical and chemical onslaughts by gardeners is pretty amazing.

Ashy

My white buddleia has come into bloom. I also have some rather ugly bushes with purple flowers that are self sewn, I keep them because the bees like them.

Sheila

A neighbour has had a buddleia growing out of a garden wall for a few years.  She likes it even though it is destroying the wall!  It probably came from a plant on the opposite side of the road.

Raven

Yes, It was in the forest a few years back, a plant I've not seen since I was a child. I went back the next day (very early) with a small fork and trowel. Dug a hunk of it up and put it in a carrier bag. Have a nice clump of it growing in the back garden now. It's called Solomon's Seal.

image.jpg

Ashy

Quote from: Raven on July 17, 2022, 11:08:52 AMYes, It was in the forest a few years back, a plant I've not seen since I was a child. I went back the next day (very early) with a small fork and trowel. Dug a hunk of it up and put it in a carrier bag. Have a nice clump of it growing in the back garden now. It's called Solomon's Seal.
Thanks Raven I think that's what it is. Always had bees on it. Unfortunately i can't pop out and photograph it now, the sun is shining.