What have you been watching...

Started by zoony, April 30, 2022, 05:04:49 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

watched a film last night 'The Net'. Story is of a corporation which has developed a super-duper computer security programme and have persuaded lots of elements of the US government to use it- but it isn't what it seems - it has a back door enabling the corporation's people to get up to all sorts of mischief. Sandra Bullock plays a computer analyst trying (and eventually succeeding) in working out what is going on, but in the process her entire life is attacked - her house is sold whilst she is on holiday, she finds all official records of her have been changed, etc.
The film was released in 1995 and what really intrigued me was to be reminded what cutting edge technology was back then. Computers using 3.5" floppies, mobile phones with retractable ariels, cars that needed a key to open the door and start the engine..
Then it dawned - 1995 seems no time at all ago - but it is over a quarter of a century!
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Sounds interesting Mike. 

We watched the first episode of The Elon Musk Story. I didn't know much about him, apart from he is the richest person on earth! Or so I believe.  He's quite an odd character, but what a work ethic.  Two more episodes.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

I know that it wouldn't have been Veronica's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it - and it does make one think about just what malicious hackers can achieve
Mike
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on October 17, 2022, 04:47:33 AMwatched a film last night 'The Net'. Story is of a corporation which has developed a super-duper computer security programme and have persuaded lots of elements of the US government to use it- but it isn't what it seems - it has a back door enabling the corporation's people to get up to all sorts of mischief. Sandra Bullock plays a computer analyst trying (and eventually succeeding) in working out what is going on, but in the process her entire life is attacked - her house is sold whilst she is on holiday, she finds all official records of her have been changed, etc.
The film was released in 1995 and what really intrigued me was to be reminded what cutting edge technology was back then. Computers using 3.5" floppies, mobile phones with retractable ariels, cars that needed a key to open the door and start the engine..
Then it dawned - 1995 seems no time at all ago - but it is over a quarter of a century!
Some of us still have cars that need a key to open the door, we's not all loaded & posh. Lol  :grin:

It's common practice for a computer programme creator to have a 'back door' into the programme.

At the start of the 1990s I wrote a database so that our region's investigation records could be computerised & all the statistics produced at the press of a key instead of taking two days manually.

I incorporated security features which prevented the date that a record was entered from being changed, as there was a time limit after which a person could not be prosecuted.

However, if I'd had a case that had dragged on too long I could have got in through the 'back door', undetected by the programme, delete the record & then re-enter it at a later date & the prosecution would have gone ahead.

Did I ever do it?

That's for me to know & someone else to prove.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

sneaky! But I am sure that you would not have created a false criminal record for a young woman trying to save the world!
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

just been thinking. The most recent car that didn't need a key in the ignition to start the engine was our Honda CR-V - 2013-2015 - and the most recent to open the doors on a fob must have been the Astra about 2000
[email protected]

Raven

My last car didn't need keys in the ignition either, it was my Suzuki 4x4. I prefer the keys in the ignition then I know where the buggers are.  :cool:

klondike

I had a Ford back in the 70s that didn't. You could start it with a screwdriver. On one occasion we were house viewing with an estate agent and I locked the keys in. I asked if I could borrow his key. He was gobsmacked when I opened my door with it.

Michael Rolls

Fords back then were notorious. We were having a quiet drink after playing cricket (we won!) when one of the guys realised that he had locked his keys in his car. 'No worry' someone said. He took out a small penknife with a blade about two inches long and quarter of an inch wide and proceeded to demonstrate that he could use it to unlock not just the car in question but also several other Fords, including my 1967 Cortina Mk II
Bought myself a Krooklock the next day!
Mike (and still have it, although I haven't used it in years)
[email protected]

Alex

Michael Rolls

they are a very useful deterrent
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

They are usually hacksaw proof. Unfortunately steering wheels aren't.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/steering-wheel-locks-prevent-car-theft/

Steering wheel locks can be defeated
The unfortunate truth is that steering wheel locks, like The Club, can be defeated quite easily. There have been many cases where professional thieves have stolen cars equipped with a steering wheel lock by simply cutting a portion of the steering wheel to remove the device or by drilling or cutting the device itself to disable it.

Michael Rolls

very true - but they dissuade the casual thief not carrying a hacksaw and the time and place to use it
[email protected]

klondike

A casual thief won't have the kit needed to start a modern car and a steering lock won't stop anything left inside being stolen. I think a good one that surrounds the wheel may be good on an old or classic car but I don't see much point with modern cars.