What happens now ?

Started by Alex, December 28, 2021, 03:00:42 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

If this forum retains a reasonable number of posters I'll maybe get a domain for it and put it on commercial hosting. Running it on a Raspberry Pi in a back bedroom is all well and good but if I get a power outage or even just clumsy or a broadband problem it would go down and proper websites don't do that.

crabbyob

well do it asap...i dont like the idea of our girls in your back bedroom.... :cool:
i havent even tried to get back on... i love PF it was a great find, at a grey point in my life and has brought sunlight into many a grey day...BUT... i worked down the pit i am one step up from being a technophobe.... :nooo:... when i push the button i do expect it to open, i can expect it to be monitored, but not randomly... the two plus one assasins should have been dispatched in the first few days, if he didnt want to monitor it he should have/could have deputised several of the saner members, as i hope K will on here, of course there are those who must be kept away from a big stick.. :yell: .. so thanks Mark for looking after us in dark days, you will never be alone on here...

Raven

I'll be staying as well, hope your back bedroom is comfortable Mark. :grin: I think the original Site should have had Mods as Chris wasn't going to be there all the time, BUT, what's done is done. I'll bop about between the two as I have been doing and hopefully things will improve over there. I know all forums go through bad patches but most can and will recover. That's all I'm going to say on the subject. :shh: :shh: :lipsrsealed:

klondike

Chris's comments seem to say he thinks I set this up to get away from the couple of new boys. He really doesn't seem to understand how hacked off people got with the outages.

I have deliberately added some questions to the registration now as I've had to bin off some new userids that were clearly just bots setting up accounts ready for future use in spamming. Whether that will keep them out I doubt but better than nothing.

Raven

That's what my daughter and I did with our forum, we were very careful of who we let in. It was not a big forum about 30 of us who left Yahoo Answers, as we kept getting in trouble for yacking instead of questions/answers, so we set up the Site. It still runs and most of the members are there, but I moved it over to Facebook as a private group because the Hosting Site was taken over by another firm and they changed every damn thing. We all hated the new layout so I took us to Facebook. :upvote:

Alex

Our little forum on Xobor is free, but the basic is € 6 a month, let us know klondike whichever route you go down so we can chip in. :upvote:

klondike

I could have done an email confirmation but I'm still dubious about the forum and emails. Plus bots are getting ever smarter.

Real people can miff me too. Often happens on PF. Roll up ask some oddball question about a pension then vanish never to be seen again. Maybe the sort of think you might do on a manufactures support forum but just a glance would show PF and here to be a chat place not a place likely to help with complex questions on pensions probably better asked of a professional.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on December 29, 2021, 12:16:18 PM
Real people can miff me too. Often happens on PF. Roll up ask some oddball question about a pension then vanish never to be seen again.

Is it not possible that the name "Pensioners Forum UK" is the actual problem? People coming across it may not realise it's a chat forum, not a help forum. :rolleyes:

klondike

Quote from: Alex on December 29, 2021, 12:15:12 PM
Our little forum on Xobor is free, but the basic is € 6 a month, let us know klondike whichever route you go down so we can chip in. :upvote:
No need to chip in anything. Amazon do virtual hosts that would be plenty fast enough that cost peanuts. Well dollars actually but not many of them.

I will hold fire as the Pi can cope easily it's just that proper hosting has secure power and connectivity plus very quick problem fixing.

klondike

Quote from: Raven on December 29, 2021, 12:20:31 PM
Is it not possible that the name "Pensioners Forum UK" is the actual problem? People coming across it may not realise it's a chat forum, not a help forum. :rolleyes:
Maybe but I'd be inclined to keep it. Something you could set up a poll on. I don't want to be autocratic. As I said before I host this forum but I don't own it and I'd like the folks here to have an input on what does and doesn't happen.

For instance the original setup said (and still does) that members here should also be registered on PF. Now after having been virtually chucked out as I won't post if every post of mine gets scrutinised I'm inclined to just remove that. Would that make others uncomfortable? I think now it probably would. In any case a brand new subdomain of a long dead website with an unrelated  name won't show in Google searches anytime soon so there will be no new visitors anyway until that is addressed.

Alex

Does this site show up on Google then ?  that means we could get Sciatico's brother registering !  :rolleyes:

Raven

I didn't actually mean this one Mark. I was refering to people popping onto the other place with a question and vanishing.

Michael Rolls

I post on both fora and will, hopefully, continue so to do.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

1955vintage

I must confess I am utterly bemused by the recent events. I was impressed with the members and the forum and saw the deadly duo as a pain. The response of the moderator/owner of deleting posts because the Deep/Sciatico  were upset was puerile and pampered to their over inflated egos. He seems not to have learned from his errors and will soon only have himself and them to blame.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Michael Rolls on December 29, 2021, 01:01:57 PM
I post on both fora and will, hopefully, continue so to do.
Mike
Well, I will if I can into PF. So far today it has twice frozen on me whilst trying to post, and once refused to let me in. To be fair, I have accessed it OK twice, but three failures out of five isn't very encouraging.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]