Ray Illingworth, RIP

Started by Michael Rolls, December 25, 2021, 04:13:47 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

The former great, a captain of both Yorkshire and England, has died aged 89, of cancer. I've forgotten who said it, but someone knowledgeable once said of recent England captains if you wanted the best chance of winning, choose Mike Brearley - if you want to avoid losing, choose Ray
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

zoony


klondike

RIP. A cricketers name I recognise. There aren't many.

It's good to moan.

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on December 25, 2021, 04:13:47 PM
The former great, a captain of both Yorkshire and England, has died aged 89, of cancer. I've forgotten who said it, but someone knowledgeable once said of recent England captains if you wanted the best chance of winning, choose Mike Brearley - if you want to avoid losing, choose Ray
Mike

Yes my friend, who played under both in Tests, indeed echoed that sentiment. 'Illi', forever a first class cricketer and tactician.

A gentleman through and through. Thank you 'Sir' Raymond ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

1955vintage

Illy generated a huge amount of loyalty from his players. His dismissal was the start of the Yorkshire decline.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Cassandra

Quote from: 1955vintage on January 03, 2022, 02:59:26 PM
Illy generated a huge amount of loyalty from his players. His dismissal was the start of the Yorkshire decline.


Absolutely, my captain of choice, but I'm biased! By the way what a splendid avatar, super breed!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

1955vintage

After labs, retrievers and setters, your sense of humour is fully prepared for the trauma of a basset. They have a well deserved reputation , belligerent, wilfully disobedient ,stubborn, untrainable and single minded. And flatulent, so what is not to love.

Bassets and Yorkshire men have a lot in common.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Cassandra

#7
Quote from: 1955vintage on January 03, 2022, 03:16:44 PM
After labs, retrievers and setters, your sense of humour is fully prepared for the trauma of a basset. They have a well deserved reputation , belligerent, wilfully disobedient ,stubborn, untrainable and single minded. And flatulent, so what is not to love.

Bassets and Yorkshire men have a lot in common.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Love it what a description!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

Quote from: 1955vintage on January 03, 2022, 03:16:44 PM
They have a well deserved reputation , belligerent, wilfully disobedient ,stubborn, untrainable and single minded. And flatulent, so what is not to love.

Bassets and Yorkshire men have a lot in common.
:rolleyes: Hmmm... I wasn't aware of it but maybe I have some Yorkshire blood then....

It's good to moan.