opinion?

Started by crabbyob, April 22, 2022, 01:51:25 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Quote from: Alex on April 23, 2022, 12:46:48 PM
I wasn't born chuck  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Me neither, not even my eldest sister was born.

klondike

Quote from: Alex on April 23, 2022, 12:46:48 PM
I wasn't born chuck  :grin: :grin: :grin:
My dad was. He had a camera.

Michael Rolls

I was, although only a child
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

crabbyob

so we cant have an opinion on a subject because we werent born then.... so exactly when was the union of the crowns when Scotland became a leach to england?

Alex

Quote from: crabbyob on April 24, 2022, 09:02:43 AM
so we cant have an opinion on a subject because we werent born then.... so exactly when was the union of the crowns when Scotland became a leach to england?

Nonsense !   :grin:  my comment at not being born then was a crack aimed at klondike !

crabbyob

thats all he needs [cracks]...
perhaps mine was a crack too....pet.. :biker:

Alex

klondike

Oh bugger. Yet another heading for Controversial  :grin:

crabbyob

mark, it wears a bit thin that someone born in a certain part of the UK can be so bloody sanctimonious, condescending and downright rude, about people they have never met and know nothing about... but i take this opportunity to point out i know nothing about Barnet... but quite a bit about the UK... no englishman knowingly nor willingly pays one penny towards Scotland... you just have to listen to the crap that gets dragged up every time the subject comes up... let  me ask them... how many have served their country...percentage wise?... because the Scots by a large margin percentage wise have by far served this nation in or out of conflict [my bit was out of conflict i am happy to report] now every time the england Scotland thing comes up it ends up in bit Why? because the few Scots on here will always stand up for what we are and what it has cost us, the Scots to be part of this union... no you dont have your own parliament, Why?... because you arrogantly presume that Westminster is Yours...., p-lease try and remember it was a Scots King who united the Kingdoms....

klondike

The only person here to mention Scotland in this thread is you crabbyob.  :?: :?: :?:

zoony

My son had his genealogy done from a cheek swab. Interesting results.. Much of my family is from Ireland but guess what?..40% Scottish.  Much of interest including South Africa and Bengali but 40% Scottish??

Alex

Quote from: klondike on April 24, 2022, 12:45:17 PM
The only person here to mention Scotland in this thread is you crabbyob.  :?: :?: :?:

I was thinking that, it was a joke about fashion !!!!! from crabbyob no less   :rofl:

GrannyMac

Quote from: zoony on April 24, 2022, 02:15:09 PM
My son had his genealogy done from a cheek swab. Interesting results.. Much of my family is from Ireland but guess what?..40% Scottish.  Much of interest including South Africa and Bengali but 40% Scottish??

We get about.. 😃

Perhaps the Scots element comes from his maternal line? Also Scots/Irish have lots of historical connections.  I have quite a bit of English in my DNA, all from my dad's family. That could really upset some Scots, just as finding African ancestors wouldn't please anyone with a leaning towards white supremacy!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Jacqueline

I thought this thread was about 1940's versus modern day "fashion"?

Despite makedo and mend during the war and lack of new clothes,  most people back then made the very best of themselves and wouldn't have been seen dead in ripped trousers and slobby dress like most people today.   

GrannyMac

Many threads wander into different areas. We're old, its to be expected..☺️

But, back to the 1940s.  Respectability was very important back then, as was conformity.  My father wore a collar and tie every day, casual wear was a blazer and flannels rather than a suit!  Clothes were expensive relative to income, and expected to last.

When my son started work in the 90s, he was expected to wear a suit, even though he was office based. The dress code has really relaxed over 30 years, and jeans, and a shirt and sweater are standard now.  However the brands and quality of today's clothes can still mark differences.

I like the fact that there's choice and I'm not expected to be corseted, or wear high heels any more.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖