something changed?

Started by Michael Rolls, May 12, 2022, 10:25:34 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

when tried a moment ago to log in, using the link I have used since this site started, up cam a screen blank but for one word 'Moved'. Tracked down with Google, but it did throw me.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

created a new link from the URL here - and it works OK, but the old link - which worked earlier this morning, doesn't any longer - is puzzzlement!
Mike
[email protected]

-Oy-

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Alex

Nor for me, I've got original link saved.

Sheila

Quote from: Michael Rolls on May 12, 2022, 10:25:34 AM
when tried a moment ago to log in, using the link I have used since this site started, up cam a screen blank but for one word 'Moved'. Tracked down with Google, but it did throw me.
Mike

Same here.

klondike

The old link you were using  was redirected from the original pensioners.digitalham.co.uk but I removed the redirect  today.

It would have been unreliable anyway as it runs on the Pi 4 which i don't always have running as web server any more. I'm surprised that you  didn't have problems before.

I have altered that now to make clear that the redirect has been removed and to change links to the new domain. I will soon be taking the old subdomain down entirely and then it will just come up as unreachable.

Quote from: Mark on January 09, 2022, 02:03:31 AM
As you will see the forum is running on it's new domain.

You will find that as new posts is driven by cookies and this is a new domain there won't be any stored by your browser yet so everything will apparently be new, That will quickly sort itself out.

There is a distinct chance that I have missed something somewhere so if you spot anything odd please say and I'll fix it. Or at least try to.

Although if you have stored the old forum url in your favourites you will be pushed here that wont remain so forever so it will pay to update such links.

I had a chat with my son who does do this stuff for a living and followed his recomendartions. The site is running on Amazon Lightsail web services and with Cloudflare front ending it. The setup looks to be twice as fast as the Raspberry Pi.

Michael Rolls

I'm lost - I set up the link after the very first time I logged on here, and it worked perfectly until late morning, having worked fine earlier. Still, sorted it now, but I was worried to start with as trying to find this site on Goggle isn't easy
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

Re-read that post I made back in Januaryand quoted above. I said that you needed to update your shortcuts then. You have been getting into here via my old Pi 4 since then and I have certainly been taking it down for maintenance and changes quite often since this site was moved from it and I made that post.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

At least you made it. I have changed it from an automated redirect to one where it has to be clicked. In fact that was what I intended prior to removing the old domain entirely but there was as an error in the code and I must have got distracted as I never checked it was correct.

Michael Rolls

all's well that ends well
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

Google wants six months of redirects in the domain move process for some reason then still leaves the old stuff indexed when you do leave the redirect in place which is annoying. I'll take the domains down once the six months are up. I still have the Pi running to download the files and database backups  from the server I moved the sites to.

Amazon web services provide the option to image the entire server daily pretty much for peanuts but I have both LetsChat and other sites running on it and I think their restore is an all or nothing thing so produce individual backups too and download those to the Pi. I have to shut down the Pi to back that up which is why the redirects can be unreliable.