Another way to impoverish you...

Started by klondike, April 17, 2022, 08:56:28 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Ban new boiler sales to switch people over to heat pumps, says infrastructure tsar
Sir John Armitt says prohibiting future sales will force people to make greener choices and help the Government meet net zero goals

However, Sir John Armitt, its chairman, suggested that a ban on the sale of new gas boilers would have to be part of the answer.

He told The Telegraph: "Why would you move to a heat pump at somewhere between £5-£15,000 as long as you can buy or exchange for a new gas boiler for £1,500? The only way that you can make such a significant shift is by saying, well, 'from a particular date, you will not be able to buy a new gas boiler'."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/16/ban-new-boiler-sales-switch-people-heat-pumps-says-infrastructure/

From an alternate source...
....Or maybe we should just stick with gas boilers and find other things to worry about than the world possibly getting slightly warmer over the coming century – which the U.K. stopping using gas boilers will not, even according to IPCC models, have any material effect on anyway.

-Oy-

Call me sceptical - but when I read things like this now the first thing to pop into my head is "I wonder which Tory Minister has a relative or close friend with shares in that tech?"
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

klondike

Net zero was in their manifesto.
Mind you so was maintaining the triple lock....

klondike

Another piece of net zero legislation is no new fossil fuel cars to be sold in less than 8 years. My son became an early adopter of an electric car but he also has a diesel. For unknown reasons his car failed to charge overnight twice so far so it is just as well he does.

He has taken a long Easter weekend break in Suffolk. Had to use the diesel. No public chargers within miles of where he is staying.

Michael Rolls

I know I keep on about it - but for many people the lack of an adequate infrastructure makes an electric car totally pointless
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

If it is going to happen then there needs to be some government incentives to make it happen. Probably time to be buying up low mileage diesels. They'll be worth a packet come 2030...  :grin:

-Oy-

Nothing will REALLY change until Hydrogen becomes the thing.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

klondike

I'm not sure it will. I imagine getting the infrastructure in place for that will be even more costly than installing fast chargers everywhere.

My hobby horse on this is that I think the real game changer is going to be autonomous vehicles. Need a ride? Whip out your phone. A driverless Uber arrives wherever you are in minutes, takes you where you are going and waits for the next customer call. Just call again when you want to move on.

The majority of cars sit idle all day. That's a lot of capital tied up doing nothing. If you can just call a ride from pretty much anywhere then you don't need a car just a phone and a driverless taxi service.

Unless you are like my son. His car is alway full of fishing kit. Or want to travel well off the beaten track I suppose.

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on April 17, 2022, 11:00:18 AM
I know I keep on about it - but for many people the lack of an adequate infrastructure makes an electric car totally pointless
Mike

Well as I say, an electric car is ok as a shopping trolley.

Anyway, heatpumps.

The guy in the photo, Sir John Armitt, looks just like the typical academic who pops up on the news to say he's been scammed out of his life savings by a 'you need to transfer your money to a safe account' bank scam.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on April 17, 2022, 08:56:28 AM
Ban new boiler sales to switch people over to heat pumps, says infrastructure tsar
Sir John Armitt says prohibiting future sales will force people to make greener choices and help the Government meet net zero goals

However, Sir John Armitt, its chairman, suggested that a ban on the sale of new gas boilers would have to be part of the answer.

He told The Telegraph: "Why would you move to a heat pump at somewhere between £5-£15,000 as long as you can buy or exchange for a new gas boiler for £1,500? The only way that you can make such a significant shift is by saying, well, 'from a particular date, you will not be able to buy a new gas boiler'."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/16/ban-new-boiler-sales-switch-people-heat-pumps-says-infrastructure/

From an alternate source...
....Or maybe we should just stick with gas boilers and find other things to worry about than the world possibly getting slightly warmer over the coming century – which the U.K. stopping using gas boilers will not, even according to IPCC models, have any material effect on anyway.

"Moral maxims are surprisingly useful on occasions when we can invent little else to justify our actions."

Alexander Pushkin, Tales of Belkin

Sir John Armitt

Chair of the National Infrastructure Commission
Assumed office 19 January 2018

Appointed by   Philip Hammond
Preceded by   The Lord Adonis

Says it all, His role (little more than a sinecure) costs the UK £217k a year salary for a very part time sinecure. A remainer, chosen by a gang of nutter-remainers, ultra Globalists and nett zero fanatics. Probably on a half a million a year pension too?

As always therefore completely out of touch with the hard line despair their crazy fantasies have already created for 90% of the population.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

I would say this makes me despair but I'd be lying. I despaired quite a while back. We get stuck with endless "will never work" policies by a bunch of brain dead politicians who will have long moved on (probably to the House of Lords as they are even too useless for Quandos) leaving another set of tossers to decry past policy and come up with something even worse.