does anybody use what3words?

Started by Michael Rolls, May 31, 2023, 01:53:13 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

I know I am paranoid BUT - this Mondeo is the first car I have owned, in fact the first car that I have even driven, that doesn't have a spare wheel - because the bloody great battery takes up so much of the boot that there simply isn't room for a wheel. The idea of something as simple as a puncture meaning total immobilisation doesn't sit well with me. I am an AA member and have their number, of course, but trying to describe a location can be a bit fraught. Hence my interest in what3words. I have read some reviews of it and they weren't all that flattering in some cases.
Any personal opinions?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

I have the App on my phone, just incase. I am with the RAC and I know they like to use it to pinpoint you. I often look at it when I park up some place and it seems to be working away fine.

Alex

No idea what what3words is, I thought it was going to be ' I love you '  :grin:

Raven

Quote from: Alex on May 31, 2023, 04:20:13 PMNo idea what what3words is, I thought it was going to be ' I love you '  :grin:

I think it's a pretty good idea.

https://what3words.com/how-to-use-the-what3words-app

Alex

Yes seems a good idea, I don't go far these days and not to places I don't know.  If I had a new car I'd be tempted to travel afar again  :grin:

Michael Rolls

Thanks, ladies - I think that I will give it a go
[email protected]

klondike

It's free so why not if you think it will help.

I ordered my car with a spare wheel at extra cost. As I took the car early it didn't have one and I was promised they'd get me one. 3 months on I still don't have it  :angry:

Cars with no spare do come with a can of sealant and an electric pump which should be enough to handle a puncture but obviously not a wrecked tyre. My previous car had no spare either.

Michael Rolls

mine doesn't have the sealant thingy, although one of the vans did as well as a spare.. Should have said - free always sounds good!
[email protected]

klondike

A can of sealant costs less than a tenner.

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on May 31, 2023, 01:53:13 PMI know I am paranoid BUT - this Mondeo is the first car I have owned, in fact the first car that I have even driven, that doesn't have a spare wheel - because the bloody great battery takes up so much of the boot that there simply isn't room for a wheel. The idea of something as simple as a puncture meaning total immobilisation doesn't sit well with me. I am an AA member and have their number, of course, but trying to describe a location can be a bit fraught. Hence my interest in what3words. I have read some reviews of it and they weren't all that flattering in some cases.
Any personal opinions?
Indeed.

'Hairy Knob Head' won't be too well received.

I don't need what3words as Greenflag's app can pinpoint my location from my phone.

All I'd have to do is press the Help button on the app with no need to speak to them.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on May 31, 2023, 10:39:28 PMA can of sealant costs less than a tenner.
But isn't much use for a bad puncture and ruins the tyre for a small one
[email protected]

klondike

£10 to get home isn't a bad deal though even if you have to replace the tyre after. I've only ever had quite minor punctures. I don't use the RAC or AA I use one that you pay about £30 a year for but each callout costs £60. I can't recall when I ever made a callout to any of them. My car comes with manufacturer assist for breakdowns anyway.