I Have Only Just Noticed Something

Started by morty, April 01, 2023, 06:04:18 PM

« previous - next »

morty

I'm not too quick .. so I've only just spotted that on a thread that you create you have the power to Move or Remove the thread.

I bet everyone else knew that.

Alex

You can remove your own post starting the thread off, but can you remove other people's responses  ?

morty

No ... just the topic itself.
Cor, can you imagine if you could delete others posts .... 

Alex

Sorry I misunderstood, when you said you have the power to Move or Remove the thread, for a second I thought you meant the whole thread !!. :nooo:

morty

I did.

Sorry, it's me not explaining it too well. I meant the thread. 

Scrumpy

You can remove the whole thread if it was you that started the thread.

April 01, 2023, 07:19:02 PM
I have done it many a time,

April 01, 2023, 07:20:19 PM
Just imagine if you could remove any thread..!!
There wouldn't be any threads left.. :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

It's deliberate. We don't have moderators here to move or remove things so people who have posted something which they later regret or have posted in the wrong section can do so up to a day after the posting.

If some in the past had taken advantage of the option it may have stopped a row ending with a flounce.

morty

That actually makes a kind of sense .... the bit about the flouncing.

klondike

I think I mentioned it somewhere before. Maybe in one of the threads about moderation. From other forums I've found that moderators often make things worse rather than better and it certainly alters the way people will interact with them.

I have was made a mod on a board elsewhere and resigned the role because it is very very hard to get right without putting noses out of joint. I put it to the members here and they didn't want any. I didn't disagree even though most boards have them.

Same with a profanity censor because people just try to bypass them anyway. Nobody has been a real potty mouth yet or that might be something that would be needed. I wouldn't use [censored] though I'd  change the offensive word into a childish insult such as poo poo pants so the offender got the message and changed it themself.

morty

The more i think about it ... the more I think it's a very good idea. I don't know of any other forum owner who allows such an option.

klondike

There you have it. A forum owner. I don't own this place I just provide a facility. A forum is it's members. What possible purpose would this site have without members?

It may be my ideas on how a forum should operate wouldn't work with a large membership I suppose. I simply don't know.