light bulbs,

Started by alfred, January 24, 2022, 08:40:36 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

i assume many of us see the light ( pardon the pun ) when it comes to light bulbs, do you buy when reading or seeing the life of a bulb , or is it the price , or even the manufacturers name,

and how long should a light bulb last , some manufacturers for some bulbs  give an eight year life span , iv bought several of these bulbs simply for my out side lamp , doing away with the prospect of keep having to replace a worn out bulb a number of times ,

in the past i read a story of a person who claimed to have had a light bulb last over twenty years .............is that lucky or what ?,

Q; what experiences have you had when it comes to buying a light bulb and will you share your thoughts with us,

klondike

LED bulbs are the way forward. Cheap ones from Home Bargains cost about ⅓ what you'll pay in a supermarket and I have never had one fail. Mind you they aren't 5 years old yet let alone 8 or 20.

On tip for preserving theit lifetime though - don't turn 'em on.  :smiley:

Michael Rolls

the worst bulbs I have come across are incandescent 40W candle shaped bulbs. Two chandeliers in the lounge  - 8 bulbs in total, I was forever replacing them. Month ago replaced them all with LED bulbs
Mike  🤞🤞🤞
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I suspect plenty of the bulbs here will outlast me. Some are only compact flouescents too.

The reason I'm confident though is because we overspecified the number of wall lights and some never get turned on  :grin:

Jacqueline

Does anyone know what is the modern equivalent of a 150 watt lightbulb?  I have a draw full of lightbulbs I have bought that are useless.  I used to walk in a room turn the light on and would be able to see, I don't want to waste any more money not knowing what I am buying.  I guess the way to go now is LED but haven't a clue which to get.

klondike

None are going to be 150w equivalent.

Figure 22w = 100w or thereabouts with compact flourescents with LED bulbs being a tad better so possibly 20w = 100w. I doubt you will find a 30w+ LED. You could put up a flourescent tube instead they go to at least 80w.

Scrumpy

Jacqueline..
I know little about buying electric light bulbs.. It usually tells you on the carton what the equivalent wattage is ..   Just make sure you have the right fitting .. screw..!! bayonet !! etc:
klondike beat me to it.. But i am still going to post my reply because it took time writing it..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

It is on the packaging but to be honest I take a lot of that with a pinch of salt as IMO the equivalents are overstated. They'll try the old bullshit baffles brains approach beloved of the armed forces but it can't baffle your eyes.

The fittings are a nighmare.

Alex

B & Q has a half aisle full of bulbs !  I can stand there for 20 minutes and still not know which to go for.  In my kitchen I had those large screw in bulbs that were almost flat to the ceiling.  The replacements I've ended up with look most odd, like 6 little domes. :rolleyes:

Jacqueline

Among the many light bulb lurking in my kitchen draw, are ones that say they are equivalents to.. get them home and they have lied! I probably use for more lights these days than I ever did, our sitting room is large, I have four table lamps, two wall lights and two centre lights, I don't have centre lights on of an evening, but if I need to sew something by hand with the whole blooming lot on I still can't see like I could with a 150 watt bulb.  I do have one of those spot lamps, but don't have a plug hole by my favorite chair, so it means finding the long extention lead and I can't be bothered.

Life was easy before the bloody EU and their wanting to keep us in the dark ages.  I think I should change my name to Moaning Minnie :angry:

GrannyMac

We have several different types of light fittings. When I need to replace one, if we've run out, I take the dead one with me as a check.  Our sitting room lights take candle bulbs, with small fittings, not screw ins.  None in B&M, or Wilko, or Home Bargains. Amazon came up trumps, even cheaper too.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

The beauty of Prime which I always avoided and cursed them for their trick trial sign ups. You can buy stuff for £2 or £3 and have it turn up next day. Sometimes even same day. No wonder town centres are going derelict.

zoony

Quote from: Jacqueline on January 24, 2022, 05:31:35 PM
Among the many light bulb lurking in my kitchen draw, are ones that say they are equivalents to.. get them home and they have lied! I probably use for more lights these days than I ever did, our sitting room is large, I have four table lamps, two wall lights and two centre lights, I don't have centre lights on of an evening, but if I need to sew something by hand with the whole blooming lot on I still can't see like I could with a 150 watt bulb.  I do have one of those spot lamps, but don't have a plug hole by my favorite chair, so it means finding the long extention lead and I can't be bothered.

Life was easy before the bloody EU and their wanting to keep us in the dark ages.  I think I should change my name to Moaning Minnie :angry:

Many years ago my mum bought a small, circular crystal chandelier which has many prisms to reflect and re-reflect the light from the one bulb inside. It puts out a remarkable amount of light for very little cost.

Michael Rolls

Fittings! In the house there are Bayonet cap, ES, SES, MES, and three others of which I don't know the names. Some  lights will only take a particular shape of bulb - and so on. Come back candles - all is forgiven
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]