AND. So it Begins.

Started by Raven, March 26, 2024, 11:50:20 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

Price increase for charging Electric Vehicles
The price of charging an electric vehicle at charging points maintained by Angus Council will increase from Monday 1 April 2024.
The price will go up to 55p per kWh on all slow, fast and rapid chargers.
In addition, in order to have sufficient turnover and fair usage of our chargers we have decided to impose an overstay charge of £10 on all our chargers as per the following:
• For 7kW slow chargers, the typical charging time is 7-8 hours approximately, therefore after 8 hours, an overstay charge would be implemented,
• For 22kW fast chargers, the typical charging time is 2-3 hours approximately, therefore after 3 hours, an overstay penalty charge would be implemented and,
• For 50kW rapid chargers, the typical charging time is 1 hour approximately, therefore after 1 hour, an overstay penalty charge would be implemented.
The increase is necessary to ensure the EV charging network can be maintained and continue to be accessible and financially sustainable. It will also enable continued investment in the network of charging points and the price is comparable with tariffs applied by private sector providers in Angus.
Notices are in place at every publicly owned charging point in Angus to advise of the change in cos

JBR

Quote from: Raven on March 26, 2024, 11:50:20 AMPrice increase for charging Electric Vehicles
The price of charging an electric vehicle at charging points maintained by Angus Council will increase from Monday 1 April 2024.
The price will go up to 55p per kWh on all slow, fast and rapid chargers.
In addition, in order to have sufficient turnover and fair usage of our chargers we have decided to impose an overstay charge of £10 on all our chargers as per the following:
• For 7kW slow chargers, the typical charging time is 7-8 hours approximately, therefore after 8 hours, an overstay charge would be implemented,
• For 22kW fast chargers, the typical charging time is 2-3 hours approximately, therefore after 3 hours, an overstay penalty charge would be implemented and,
• For 50kW rapid chargers, the typical charging time is 1 hour approximately, therefore after 1 hour, an overstay penalty charge would be implemented.
The increase is necessary to ensure the EV charging network can be maintained and continue to be accessible and financially sustainable. It will also enable continued investment in the network of charging points and the price is comparable with tariffs applied by private sector providers in Angus.
Notices are in place at every publicly owned charging point in Angus to advise of the change in cos
The more people who fall for the trendy EV push, the more EV charging points will appear.
Logically, as they become more popular, the more they'll have to pay both for recharging and also eventually road tax.
Unless I'm mistaken, they were not subject to road tax because the government wanted everyone to buy them as part of their 'nett zero' nonsense.

Actually, I'm sure I have heard noises that fewer people are now falling for EVs for the obvious reasons: expensive, heavy, short-ranged, loss of value, etc, etc.

A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

I've said from the start I would never have one, that's still how I feel.

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on March 26, 2024, 12:51:17 PMThe more people who fall for the trendy EV push, the more EV charging points will appear.
Logically, as they become more popular, the more they'll have to pay both for recharging and also eventually road tax.
Unless I'm mistaken, they were not subject to road tax because the government wanted everyone to buy them as part of their 'nett zero' nonsense.

Actually, I'm sure I have heard noises that fewer people are now falling for EVs for the obvious reasons: expensive, heavy, short-ranged, loss of value, etc, etc.

On GB News today a guy in the car industry said that he couldn't give second hand EVs away.

I mean, would you buy a second hand petrol / diesel car that was approaching needing a complete new engine that cost £4,000.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

It isn't uncommon to see 20 year old cars on the road. 10 year olds are ten a penny. Who is going to buy a 10 year old EV given the cost of new batteries? Last I read there isn't much if any recycling of Lithium ion batteries. These things are pretty much throwaway.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on March 26, 2024, 04:29:47 PMIt isn't uncommon to see 20 year old cars on the road. 10 year olds are ten a penny. Who is going to buy a 10 year old EV given the cost of new batteries? Last I read there isn't much if any recycling of Lithium ion batteries. These things are pretty much throwaway.
What's never mentioned is the fact that an EV battery has only a maximum of around 1,500 charging cycles & 1,000 cycles on average, so how that can give the EV industry's trumpeted 20 years of use is beyond me.

Also EV owners have to do a few things to keep the batteries in good condition.

https://tinyurl.com/5b27bcu8
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

My son has one that he pretty much only uses to commute to work. He's on a special EV tariff which makes the commute very economical but he uses his diesel at weekends or for any long distances because charging anywhere other than overnight at home is very expensive and inconvenient too.

He did use the electric last Saturday when I went with him as it was a longish but doable round trip and he could leave it charging overnight ready for work. It was cold and there was rain both of which have a bad impact on mileage. He was sweating a bit on it getting back without having to charge it.

Scrumpy

My old motor is brilliant.. She is about 23years old..
Peugeot 206.. She has never let me down and the repair costs have been minimal..
She cost me nearly 10,000 all those years ago..
Her lights automatically come on when needed and her wipers come on automatically when it rains..
All I have to do is drive..
I certainly wouldn't touch an Electric Motor.. They scare me a bit.. I know it's silly but I would be wary of driving it in a thunderstorm.. :boo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

If I won an electric car I'd sell it and buy a proper car  :grin:

Scrumpy

You might struggle with that seeing how unpopular they are.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 26, 2024, 04:59:47 PMMy old motor is brilliant.. She is about 23years old..
Peugeot 206.. She has never let me down and the repair costs have been minimal..
She cost me nearly 10,000 all those years ago..
Her lights automatically come on when needed and her wipers come on automatically when it rains..
All I have to do is drive..
I certainly wouldn't touch an Electric Motor.. They scare me a bit.. I know it's silly but I would be wary of driving it in a thunderstorm.. :boo:
We have a 2007 Peugeot 307 Sport that we bought in 2010 for £5,000 & while we've had it the car has never had a service, just an oil change & oil filter every couple of years & the air filters have been changed three times.

It's never broken down or failed to start & it's just had the normal items that wear replaced.

It has had a couple of front springs replaced but that was pothole damage & not a fault of the car.

It has had a couple of cambelt kits fitted, well before the recommended date, but only because I play safe with them.

The exhaust is still the original factory fitted exhaust.

It uses no oil whatsoever & it doesn't need topping up between changes despite the hammering the engine often gets from me.

It has everything we need such as cruise control & speed limiter plus, as Scrumpy says, automatic lights & wipers.

I hope I haven't jinxed it now. Lol
[email protected]

klondike

Peugeot seem to be bomb proof. My 2009  308 diesel never failed an MOT. I gave it to my daughter when her car broke down. She wasn't quite so lucky and it needed a major repair a couple of years back. She does have a rather heavy right foot which may explain that.

muddy

I have a dismal car but there is no denying there are any amount of electrics cares on the road now .
Loads of Teslas