The Ashes

Started by Michael Rolls, December 20, 2021, 10:20:39 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Oh dear. 36-2 quickly became 36-4, with Malan out for 3, Root for a duck. Australia have now bowled nine consecutive maidens and taken three wickets in the course of them. Just when you think things can't get worse.....
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Well, thankfully Stokes and Bairstow have shown the fight that has been so lacking earlier. Interesting to see Wood, at number eight, scoring 39, whereas our top four could only manage  27 between them!
Congrats to Bairstow on a well deserved century - although he seems to have picked up a nasty hand injury in the process, and Stokes' side strain prevents him from bowling for the rest of the match, and apparently he may even be doubtful for the fifth Test
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Khawaja has a second century in the match, this one not out. Pope has taken four catches which I believe equals the record for catches by a sub in an innings. Set a mere 388 to win, England 30-0 at stumps.
At least the game will go into day five, which seemed unlikely when England were 4-36 in their first innings
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Incredibly - or perhaps not - this is already England's best opening stand of the series. The seven completed opening partnerships total just 67 runs, or an average of 9.57.
How on earth can a team hope to win with with such awful starts?
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

If supported my local football team -The Cobblers (and I should possibly be ashamed to admit I don't even know which league they play in let alone their position but I'm not) then I could share your self inflicted pain.

Some religious folk are known to go in for a bit of self scourging or maybe flagillation and the like so perhaps this England cricket supporting brings you enlightenment.

Couldn't you support one of the other teams instead as happens with football? If I told folk here in Northampton that I supported (say) Arsenal not an eyebrow would be raised.

Plus if I told them I supported Romania or Poland at football it wouldn't either.

Michael Rolls

national pride is at stake!
Mike  [1160]
[email protected]

klondike

Yeah. I did add a bit while you were typing about national teams...

Michael Rolls

so I see - tolerant lot, soccer fans
Mike😁😁
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 08, 2022, 07:36:34 AM
Incredibly - or perhaps not - this is already England's best opening stand of the series. The seven completed opening partnerships total just 67 runs, or an average of 9.57.
How on earth can a team hope to win with with such awful starts?
Mike

Get used to it Mike. They all play across the line and none of them (with latter exception of Sibson) have any patience. Most of them also don't know where their off stump is. Money for old rope!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

looking at some of the dismissals our openers have suffered all series, Sir Geoffrey's granny wouldn't need a stick of rhubarb - one of her knitting needles would do!
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

five down and 24 overs - minimum - left. Nails likely to come in for a bit of chewing
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Nails chewed to the elbows, but England managed to hang on for a draw! Sorry to hear that Butler's hand injury rules him out of the fifth Test and he is going home.
That second innings first wicket stand of 46 brings the average up to 14.13, still nowhere near enough
Mike
[email protected]

1955vintage

Poor technique (whatever happened to straight up and down the line) and poor shot selection means the top three are a waste of time.

I think we will get pasted in the fifth test.

Should this thread be moved tot he controversial section.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

trouble is, nobody better seems to be available. Since Andrew Strauss retired we haven't had a sold opening partnership - just Cook carrying whoever else turned up. Since he retired, just one horror show after another.
Mike
[email protected]