Hooray.. Good news at last..

Started by Scrumpy, February 23, 2024, 01:03:57 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Shamima Begum has lost her court of appeal  challenge against the removal of her British citizenship..
She is to remain in Syria..  :clap: :yahoo: :yay: :clap:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

The next appeal will already be in the pipeline, but she really would be better to wait until Yvette Cooper is Home Secretary  :cool:

klondike

Why are we put to the expense of repeated appeals. One should be sufficient. Can't she take a hint?

JBR

True.  I'm sure she'll keep trying and, eventually, perhaps not before too long, the decision will be reversed as others begin to take charge.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

muddy

dextrous63

Cassandra

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 23, 2024, 05:47:47 PMIsis?🤷🏻�♂️

No HMG (British taxpayers) are paying viz:

As the UK Government rescinded her British Citizenship this first 'Domestic' stage appeal will be covered by Legal aid, as will the next step to the 'Supreme Court'.

Following that will be further expense, when the appeal is escalated to the ultimate judiciary, the ECHR. Here the appeal will eventually be heard Under Article 6(1) of the court's jurisdiction (of which we are founder members). Here everyone has the general right 'to a fair hearing' in the determination of civil rights and obligations of any criminal charge. This implies an appropriate degree of 'equality of arms'. In relation to criminal offences, Article 6(3)(c) states that everyone has the right 'to defend himself in person or through legal assistance of his own choosing or, if he has not sufficient means to pay for legal assistance, to be given it free when the interests of justice so require'.

While the UN's International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights relates only to the determination of criminal charges, nevertheless there is a very similar right to free legal assistance on such items as citizenship detraction.

She will get the cover, rely on it and the Europeans will probably find in her favour as well. The swell of public feeling against Begum you would think would be enough to ensure our instantaneous exit from the ECHR? However in an increasingly apathetic, woke steered world, run by Gen Z ear trumpets - and  by then a Labour Govt. I doubt it. So Begum back, Starmer in and he'll just instruct Sue Gray, who by that time will be Governor of the BOE, to print some more 'wacky money' to pay for it all.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

muddy

Shamina Begum was a rare win for the U.K. ( at the moment )
As she has a living Dutch husband why can't she go there ?
In fact she would be better off she could get an EU passport
Meanwhile her lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank ..
We know she will be let in eventually ( probably as soon as an Islamic Labour government gets in .)
Personally  I would rather see the Rotherham grooming gang all deported back to Pakistan .
And all those other foreign nationals that clog up our prisons at our expense flown forthwith to their country of birth .

Good riddance.

Cassandra

Both Holland and Bangladesh have denied her Citizenship. The UK has rescinded her's last year. Effectively therefore she is presently 'Stateless'.

The legal instruments that describe nationality as a human right include:

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,
The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights,
The Convention on the Rights of the Child, (which she was at the time of departure),
The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, and many more.

"Arbitrary deprivation of nationality", which means deliberately moving to make a citizen stateless, is prohibited under these instruments of International Law, all of which the UK acknowledges and is subservient to, by treaty.

Article 15 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is particularly explicit on this point.

UK Appeal Court Jurisdiction has ruled that we can make this latest decision (making her stateless in the process). However whether Yvette Cooper, effectively the next Home Secretary when such matters are heard in Strasbourg: would either ignore, or dispute an ECHR ruling is at the very least 'questionable', to even begin to imagine.

So her representative's may well be ready now to present these facts to the ECHR as the 'last ditch defence'. In my opinion they will win this 'cause celebre' easily. The Conservatives know this already of course and are merely huffing & puffing to gain face with their fast diminishing base of supporters. They know they'll be gone before the European decision is reached. To date I'm told the 'Legal Aid' tab for this hateful young woman is presently well in excess of £8 million.

Scrumpy

We have now become the land of the FREE.. 
Where every thing is free for those who ask, demand..

Give me your crap, your criminals, your huddled masses.
Send these to our shores , we will provide for them.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

Of course she could stay where she is.

Cassandra

Ms Begum is being held in the Al-Roj detention camp in north-east Syria, set up to house 'Isis' activists.

She lives in the so-called "de-radicalised" side of the camp, alongside other female prisoners and their children.

The camp is a business with the Syrian Govt no doubt extracting vast sums of money from many countries, the UK included who have 'Begums' and similarly don't want them back. The payments for this will be secreted away in such vehicles as the 'British Council' an HMG owned 'charity' that is funded direct by the 'Foreign Aid' budget (sic). That's why HMG doesn't favour in any way seeing a cap put on this shady source for bungs and other underhand methods of greasing the world of 'International Diplomacy'.

No doubt if we stop this 'Full Boarding' arrangement they will make other arrangements ...

JBR

Good news, of course, that Begum is being held in the Middle East.
However, if we actually had effective control of our own borders, and that our courts worked for the benefit of our country, this wouldn't be necessary!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on February 26, 2024, 12:37:57 PMGood news, of course, that Begum is being held in the Middle East.
However, if we actually had effective control of our own borders, and that our courts worked for the benefit of our country, this wouldn't be necessary!

Dear dead days indeed ...