Security !!!

Started by Scrumpy, February 21, 2024, 09:33:51 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

First to US I reckon as we have heard of no others and the US has border controls. Well some borders anyway. The Rio Grande is a lot narrower than the channel and longer too.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on February 23, 2024, 09:41:38 AMFirst to US I reckon as we have heard of no others and the US has border controls. Well some borders anyway. The Rio Grande is a lot narrower than the channel and longer too.
Hence the fence.

Hey!  That rhymes.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

muddy

I have seen it on cowboy films looks very shallow to me .😀

Alex

I watched the first part of a documentary on Al Jazeera about Chinese illegals arriving in the US.  Some of them travelled through 9 countries to get there.  Hundreds of thousands arrived in 2023 the majority were Christians who were persecuted in China.  Now the Chinese government is going after the families they left behind.  It was really interesting and they seemed like lovely people.

klondike

Perhaps you have a spare room or two?

Alex

They wouldn't need a spare room from me, all had nice houses in the US and obviously worked for a living, unlike the dross that rolls up on our shores.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on February 23, 2024, 11:12:41 AMI watched the first part of a documentary on Al Jazeera about Chinese illegals arriving in the US.  Some of them travelled through 9 countries to get there.  Hundreds of thousands arrived in 2023 the majority were Christians who were persecuted in China.  Now the Chinese government is going after the families they left behind.  It was really interesting and they seemed like lovely people.
Yes, I have said repeatedly that there are good people in all diverse national groups.

I shall always remember a young Chinese girl who entered my class at a primary school.  She could speak no English.  Neither could her mother, though her father had a smattering of our language.
She had support from a translator in the class, on a temporary basis, from the local Education Authority, and her parents/father helped her at home.
Cut a long story short, and by the end of the year, she was the best pupil in my class, outshining all the English-speaking kids.

Although China seems to be regarded as a danger to our country, militarily (but who isn't today!), but I can see how they are progressing faster than we are in several ways.  I do not see them as our enemy, though perhaps things could change in the future?

Alex

I do see China as our enemy, more to fear from them than the Russians.    I have a friend who owns a house in Nepal and on his last visit there he told me how the Chinese are 'buying up' the country.  Good for the Nepalese economy as it's a poor country as you know, but there are Chinese military bases right on the border now, so will that be the next crisis ?

klondike

Initially the Russians probably have more cause to fear China than we do. They are doubtless well in hock to them already and that is unlikley to improve so there would be little need for a military takeover - an economic one would do the trick.

ansu

As to the Chinese girl, you are right, Chinese parents are very ambitious with regard to their children. My granddaughter had a Chinese classmate and instead of relaxing and playing with her friends on Sundays, the girl had to stay at home and learn. 

JBR

Quote from: ansu on February 25, 2024, 10:34:07 AMAs to the Chinese girl, you are right, Chinese parents are very ambitious with regard to their children. My granddaughter had a Chinese classmate and instead of relaxing and playing with her friends on Sundays, the girl had to stay at home and learn.

They certainly are, and I applaud them for that.  I only wish that more British parents were able to do the same.  We seem to have more than our share of yobs who don't give a toss about their children (and their own behaviour).  For some reason, I never hear of such people in other countries.

I should also add that I have a great respect also for German people.  We have been to your country for holidays and would love to return again (if I could persuade Marge: she prefers a cruise to Poland, Norway and Denmark).  One particular attraction to me are the many historic (and modern) pipe organs which seem to be more prevalent in Germany than here!

ansu

Maybe you can persuade your wife to go an a river cruise along the Rhine or Donau (Danube). These cruises are really wonderful and relaxing. When I was on the Rhine there was a travelling group from the USA, too. They were enthusiastic about it. 
As to China - I think I told you that when I was there they only showed you what they wanted you to see. It's another mentality and you don't know what they really think - we had a German guide from the travelling agency in Germany, a Chinese guide speaking German during the trip, an extra Chinese guide speaking German in every city and the bus driver. Moreover, every evening an extra special programme was offered, i.e. no free time available. In Las Vegas you had to go across a gambling room to get to the restaurant, in China lunch was included in the price and you had to go across a shop selling souvenirs  to get to the restaurant.