Violence in Schools.

Started by Raven, February 20, 2024, 05:06:36 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Why is this happening? Have we gone too far over to the lenient side? Why are parents not teaching their kids any discipline these days? It's not the teachers job to teach that, it's the parents.
I'm NOT suggesting it's all kids but it's certainly a good lot of them. Neither am I suggesting we return to hammering the living daylights out of them, BUT, they need to be brought back into behaving and having respect.
Why should teachers be afraid to go to work?
Your Thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-68317126

GrannyMac

I think some parents are very much at fault.   There's occasional low level stuff at the comp where my grandson goes.  He hopes to follow his sister next year, to sixth form college, no issues there at all.  It's selective, and very sought after.   I imagine the parents of those pupils work with the education system, rather than against it.

Also, hasn't Scotland introduced a no exclusion policy?   
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

I'm not sure how the land lies on that.  :hmm:

klondike

dextrous63

If we could bring back inverted crucifixions, burning at the stake, dunking in a pond, the cat o' nine tails, keel hauling and the stocks, then behaviour issues could be resolved within a week.

But enough about senior staff,.., no idea what to do with wayward kids.😬😉

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 20, 2024, 08:04:12 PMIf we could bring back inverted crucifixions, burning at the stake, dunking in a pond, the cat o' nine tails, keel hauling and the stocks, then behaviour issues could be resolved within a week.

But enough about senior staff,.., no idea what to do with wayward kids.😬😉
Apart from the intentional exaggeration, I fully agree.
But in a more serious tone, I think all of this misbehaviour which is now so very prevalent, both in schools and on the streets, is down to the lack of discipline in both schools and the home.
Laws have been passed to prevent schools not using physical punishments and, I believe, to prevent parents being overly heavy handed.
What we see today is a direct consequence of that.
I might also add, that good parents do not need to resort to violence.  Bad parenting, including physically assaulting their children, is also the cause of much crime today.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

Parents nowadays have been brought up in a redacted discipline system, so have no idea what it is, yet alone enforce it at home.  Heck, you can't even say "naughty boy" nowadays, in case you get in trouble for being gender specific.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 20, 2024, 08:19:37 PMParents nowadays have been brought up in a redacted discipline system, so have no idea what it is, yet alone enforce it at home.  Heck, you can't even say "naughty boy" nowadays, in case you get in trouble for being gender specific.
Exactly.

I don't regret being caned at school.  I'm sure I deserved it (well, apart from one occasion when an overreacting teacher accused several of us of breaking a school rule which, I swear, we were not.  Even then, I now realise that misunderstandings and mistakes happen).
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

muddy

I think it's because so many parents work the little ones are shunted off to child minders who probably don't give them the attention a parent would .
IMO every parent should give a child at least their undivided attention for the first five years of life .
However with todays cost of living how can they.
Smart phones too probably alter the brain else it's something in the water .
Our world is going too fast , there are too many of us no wonder kids are violent .

ansu

For about 20 years I gave private lessons and in my opinion parents are often fed up with arguing with their kids, believe that it's the teacher's task to catch up what they fail in education. 
If the child has any problems with the teacher, it's the parents who blame the teacher irrespective of the cause for the trouble. 
In Germany mobbing at school is a major problem. As we don't have school uniforms like you, there's a competition between the pupils who is wearing the most expensive clothes etc. etc. And the social media aren't really a blessing. 
One of my pupils once told me that when he doesn't any longer attend my lessons, I won't earn any money any longer. As a pupil I never would have dared to talk to my teacher in such a way. However, this is the modern generation - self-assured and knowing its rights and sometimes a bit too impudent. 
In my opinion parents should insist on a daily common meal where problems could be discussed and opinions exchanged. 

Raven

I grew up in a family like that. We had every meal round the table together. Everything was discussed, my husband and I brought our kids up like that as well.