Surely they didn't lie?

Started by klondike, February 18, 2024, 10:22:56 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Somehow, Despite Record Levels of Immigration the UK Is in Recession

The UK's Conservative government has made abundantly clear for the past 13 years that it can't cut immigration as its voters want it to because migration grows the economy. Yet curiously, despite the largest wave of immigration to Britain ever, the economy is contracting. Mystifying.

The British economy entered recession last year, having been stagnant in the second quarter, declining by 0.1 per cent in quarter three, and 0.3 per cent in the fourth. These figures are "challenging" for the government, notes the Financial Times because the government has an election coming and had hoped to offer some tax cuts to try and distract voters from the astronomical tax increases they've been squarely behind for years.

Of course, the global economy is in a tight spot and governments across the West are battling against damaging headwinds. But the British government has an answer, a shortcut to global growth: importing people. Indeed, they've been so bold in this policy of growing the economy by keeping the borders firmly open, that the United Kingdom is now experiencing historic levels of arrivals.

While the headline-grabbing but comparatively inconsequential matter of illegal boat migration has consumed time and attention, changes by the Conservatives to the law to make arriving in Britain legally so much easier that in the year to June 2023, 1.2 million new people came to the country. Adjusting for those who left in the same period, that's a net population increase of 672,000 in just a year.

As things stand, the population of the UK will soar by 10 per cent by 2036. Of the 6.6 million new people in that period, half a million will be natural growth — having more people born than die — while the remaining six million will come as a result of international migration.

That this is government policy is particularly consequential because it is precisely the opposite of what the governing Conservatives promised to deliver for many years. Elections were fought and won on the promise of reducing migration "to the tens of thousands" a year — instead, it is now a million more people every 18 months.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2024/02/17/surely-they-didnt-lie-somehow-despite-record-levels-of-immigration-the-uk-is-in-recession/

Raven

Alex

klondike

So are the polling figures for the gits responsible for this.

Ashy

Growing the economy isn't always a good thing, and one thing no British voters ever wanted was to be squeezed out of their familiar places.

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Shurely he's an idiot like the rest of these politicians.  🙄
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Just looking at those grinning faces on the picture makes me feel angry.

They will never suffer, even if they are on their bikes after the next election.

It also annoys me when they (it's usually conservatives) try to tell us, "a vote for Reform is a vote for Labour".
Just another attempt to persuade us to keep them in power.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Scrumpy

Reform for me.. I will not back track.. They need to be pulled down a peg or two..
Fed up with them..  
That's not a grin.. that is a smirk..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 18, 2024, 12:36:58 PMWho's Shurely.. ? :smiley: :smiley:
Ooops. Fixed. Blame my misspent years reading Private Eye.

February 18, 2024, 02:26:12 PM
Quote from: JBR on February 18, 2024, 01:26:26 PM"a vote for Reform is a vote for Labour".
Well the way things are looking a vote for Conservative is a vote for Labour. Perhaps they should pull out everywhere where Reform is standing. Talking of "pulling out" it's a great pity that all of their fathers didn't.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on February 18, 2024, 02:23:03 PMFebruary 18, 2024, 02:26:12 PMWell the way things are looking a vote for Conservative is a vote for Labour. Perhaps they should pull out everywhere where Reform is standing. Talking of "pulling out" it's a great pity that all of their fathers didn't.
I agree.  I doubt that most Conservative voters would vote for Labour, but there will always be those who routinely flip-flop between the two parties.  Certainly, most regular Conservative voters are unlikely to vote for Labour; I am an example of them.

Hopefully all disenchanted Conservative voters, and I suspect that most are, will choose to vote for Reform, though some will say simply that they won't vote at all.

Michael Rolls

Dpn't know if Reform will stand here, still not made my mind up
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

They say they are standing everywhere but I doubt they'd get a good welcome in Scotland as many Scotts seem to be well left of centre politically and quite happy with mass inward migration. There is probably room there.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on February 18, 2024, 02:50:05 PMThey say they are standing everywhere but I doubt they'd get a good welcome in Scotland as many Scotts seem to be well left of centre politically and quite happy with mass inward migration. There is probably room there.
Yes, I think many if not most simply want an independent Scotland.

However, I wonder whether Scotland will be able to maintain itself without the financial help of England.  We already subsidise them and, if Labour takes over here, we will not be able to do that.

Michael Rolls

well, there was a referendum in September 2014, and the majority didn't want independence 55.3 v 44.7
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]