Christmas wrappings.

Started by Scrumpy, December 13, 2023, 01:00:46 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

I use brown paper and rafia ties.. I also use brown labels.. It looks quite posh..

Do others buy Christmas paper.. ?

My mum used to open Christmas presents very carefully and neatly fold the wrapping paper .. 'We can use that next year' she would say..
Over the years I have screwed up loads of Christmas wrappings and thrown it away..
I have seen much Christmas paper in the past thrown out for the bin men.  But not over the last few years..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

That's what my mum and my Nana used to do as well, we had several bags of the stuff stored for use, birthday paper as well. I think it's War Mentality when every little thing had to be saved for reuse. Mum was brought up on that waste not want not rule AND IT STUCK :yell:

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

My mother saved paper, and string.  I agree Raven about the war mentality.  The way people adapted to real austerity was amazing. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

when an elderly aunt of mum's died, mum and one of her sisters did the house clearance .Under the old dear's bed they found a carboard box, on the outside of which was written 'pieces of string too short to use' - and that is exactly what it contained!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

I like wrapping presents and use bright Christmassy paper, especially for my grandson , cheap and cheerful for him, as he loves to tear it off  :grin: 

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on December 13, 2023, 03:53:09 PMThat's what my mum and my Nana used to do as well, we had several bags of the stuff stored for use, birthday paper as well. I think it's War Mentality when every little thing had to be saved for reuse. Mum was brought up on that waste not want not rule AND IT STUCK :yell:
I certainly was as we had rationing as a youngster.

Now that I'm on my own I stick to ready meals or something on toast etc, anything that means there's zero food waste.

As for Christmas wrappings, sadly, I no longer have any need for them & Christmas is totally meaningless full stop.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on December 14, 2023, 08:30:17 AMI like wrapping presents and use bright Christmassy paper, especially for my grandson , cheap and cheerful for him, as he loves to tear it off  :grin: 
Its more fun when they're small! Mine are all teens now, and although they're appreciative, there's none of the sheer excitement of believing Santa's been.

Scrumpy

My grandchildren are all grown-up.. 
I heard Martha mention roller skates in a conversation.. That is what I have bought for her and Hattie.. They will be outside on Christmas day .. Being children all over again..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

A pound shop took a short lease on our old Toys R Us over a Christmas period. When thes shut they flogged off the left over wrapping paper at 10p a roll for the self-ripping sort and 20p for the better stuff. I got enough to wallpaper the house (but obviously didn't) I still have plenty left.

GrannyMac

As long as you can remember where you put it, you got a bargain :x14: