A funny thing happened this morning.

Started by Alex, September 16, 2023, 08:35:45 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

A bit odd I thought, I got a text message on my mobile from Google, giving me a verification code for You Tube.  I ignored this as I haven't been on You Tube recently.  Next thing my mobile starts ringing, the calling number was +1 202-455-8888 Washington DC.   I didn't answer it of course and just let it ring, it must have been 3 oclock in the morning there !   Anyone else had anything similar happen  ? 

Diasi

I get loads of calls that are blocked by my 'Should I Answer' app, so I may have had one but I wouldn't know about it unless I went through the call log which I hardly ever do.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on September 16, 2023, 08:35:45 AMA bit odd I thought, I got a text message on my mobile from Google, giving me a verification code for You Tube.  I ignored this as I haven't been on You Tube recently.  Next thing my mobile starts ringing, the calling number was +1 202-455-8888 Washington DC.  I didn't answer it of course and just let it ring, it must have been 3 oclock in the morning there !  Anyone else had anything similar happen  ? 

Have you tried to use any Google services recently?

Do you have a Google account?

Google do sent authentication texts but sometimes scammers send you a text if they're trying to take over your account so if you have one you need to change your password & enable two-factor authentication.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/240624/received-a-call-from-1-202-455-8888-but-i-did-not-attempt-to-log-in-to-my-gmail

Says....

There are two possibilities:

Someone has your password and is trying to use it, but fails the 2FA. Change your password!

Someone is trying to register a new account or 2FA to an existing one, but has (possibly accidentally) added your phone number instead of their own.

It's possible that there's just a minor difference in your numbers and it's simply a typo, e.g. the Ghostbusters are trying to register +1-311-555-3268 instead of +1-311-555-2368.

It's safer this way, when there's just an automate that gives you information, but if someone calls from number +1 202-455-8888 and tells that they are from Google, it's probably still a scam, because Caller ID spoofing is relatively easy. You shouldn't tell them anything. If they really were Google, they would already know it anyway. :)

Alex

Thanks fellas, I do have a Google account so I'll chsnge my password.  :upvote: