Strange Family Customs

Started by dextrous63, September 07, 2023, 08:58:31 AM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

I posted on another thread about how we (my mother and I) used to get the buses from Chiswick to Kingston upon Thames once a year to visit Bentalls and Evans Outsizes.

It reminded me of another strange custom we had.  Most of our summer holidays were spent staying at a relative's house in my mother's village/town Penmaenmawr.  Every year, we used to take my Great Aunt via bus to a specific department store in Bangor.  When we went, my Great Aunt took a special hat out of a box, which was only ever worn for this specific trip.  The really weird bit was that the sole purpose of this shopping trip was to buy a replacement (nearly identical) hat as the one she wore.

Have you got any strange old family traditions that you wish to share?

klondike

If I'd got any like that I'd keep 'em quiet  :grin:

Raven

dextrous63

Well Klondy, some might think you're naked morris dancing every Halloween is a bit of an unusual family tradition, but maybe it's rife down your neck of the woods.😬

klondike

dextrous63

Fair enough.  But what you do to the ducks in the village pond really is unusual.

klondike

I thought we'd agreed that wouldn't get a mention. Anyway it doesn't break any law. At least I think it doesn't  :rolleyes:

Not so sure that what you got up to when you popped by didn't though. I mean - cream cakes - noooo.  :nooo:

Scrumpy

I think family customs are wonderful..  Dextrous.. your great aunt sounds delightful..
I remember way back my mum would bake apple pies and when we , along with other neighbours, went on our summer coach trip to Littlehampton she would bring out the whole pies and cut them into segments and pass them around..  The wasps seem to know when she was coming..
During the winter she would knit us girls a bathing costume... We looked a right old sight when we stepped out of the water with the costume hanging down between our legs.. We were poor little scruffs.. :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 07, 2023, 11:32:50 AMWe looked a right old sight when we stepped out of the water with the costume hanging down between our legs.
Well know you know how boys feel.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

:grin: :grin: :grin: I left myself wide open there..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on September 07, 2023, 10:25:31 AMI thought we'd agreed that wouldn't get a mention. Anyway it doesn't break any law. At least I think it doesn't  :rolleyes:

Not so sure that what you got up to when you popped by didn't though. I mean - cream cakes - noooo.  :nooo:
I managed to persuade the police that I genuinely thought that swan was a duck, so needn't be locked up in the Tower for damaging one of QE2's birds.  

JBR

Strange?  No, but we have a sensible one.

Hear all, see all, say nowt.  Tek all, keep all, gi' nowt.  And if tha' ever does owt for nowt, allus do it for thissen.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I do recall one of my grandfather's Christmas rituals. He'd get drunk, get on the table and encourage one and all to drink up as one day he'd no longer be there. One year he turned out to be right.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on September 07, 2023, 04:27:17 PMI do recall one of my grandfather's Christmas rituals. He'd get drunk, get on the table and encourage one and all to drink up as one day he'd no longer be there. One year he turned out to be right.
So sadly true
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]