Tomato glut?

Started by Sheila, September 02, 2023, 01:26:10 PM

« previous - next »

Sheila

We've just finished off the sun blush tomatoes that I made.  I used the Sungold small tomatoes but it may work with the bigger ones too.

I cut them in half, sprinkled them with a bit of sugar, thyme and then olive oil.  They went into a very hot oven, which you then switch off and leave overnight.  I mopped up the oil with soda bread and made an open sandwich with the tomatoes, a bit of cheese and some red onion chutney.  Very tasty.

klondike

You've made me fancy a tomato sandwich. It'll be Lidl cheapest in mine.

Alex

That sounds delicious Sheila.
Actually Klondy Lidl tomatoes are good, those large, loose on the vine ones are at least.  I bought 4 yesterday, £1.15  Not as good as Sheila's home grown of course, but tasty.  I like them fried in a little bit of olive oil, Italian herbs, S & P and serve on thick brown crusty bread.  Delizioso  :grin:

dextrous63

I've been using my newly bought chinois to good effect to make purée and juice/passata.

Have given loads of tomatoes away, but still have enough to make some salsas and maybe some more juice for a Bloody Mary.

klondike

Chinois. Had to look that up. I thought it was a typo for chinos and indicated a different medical issue.

dextrous63

Not sure how well Chinos would work as a fine sieve.🤭

Alex

I had to Google it too, it's a posh sieve  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2023, 09:19:43 PMThat sounds delicious Sheila.
Actually Klondy Lidl tomatoes are good, those large, loose on the vine ones are at least.  I bought 4 yesterday, £1.15  Not as good as Sheila's home grown of course, but tasty.  I like them fried in a little bit of olive oil, Italian herbs, S & P and serve on thick brown crusty bread.  Delizioso  :grin:
We buy Lidl tomatoes too, the small plum ones on the vine are as nice as any shop bought we find.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Quote from: GrannyMac on September 05, 2023, 06:40:39 AMWe buy Lidl tomatoes too, the small plum ones on the vine are as nice as any shop bought we find. 

:upvote:  yes, I've had those too GM, very tasty. 
Have you tried Lidl's Potato Salad with Creme Fraiche ? (2 types)it's lovely, the tub is a big big for just me, but I always buy it when the gang comes round.  :grin: