From Quora...

Started by klondike, July 07, 2023, 06:59:23 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Q. Is Scottish haggis banned in the UK?

Haggis scoticus in the wild
Consumption of WILD Scottish haggis (Haggis scoticus) is banned on enviromental and conservational grounds. By 1960 the wild popuation had fallen to under 2,000 individuals, so hunting, killing and consumption was outlawed; and number of haggis reserves were established in the Ochills, Cairngorms and the Trussocks.

However farmed haggis, either of the domesticated Haggis vulgaris or the Scandinavian Haggis Norvagus, is perfectly legal for human consumption.

Related Q&A https://www.quora.com/Is-Scottish-haggis-banned-in-the-UK

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Is it April 1st again?

You'll be telling us their legs are of different lengths from running round mountains! 😂
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

I went to the farm shop Sheila mentioned yesterday, it was very nice - they even had sliced haggis !

klondike

Quote from: GrannyMac on July 07, 2023, 08:39:09 PMYou'll be telling us their legs are of different lengths from running round mountains! 😂
Checkout the link - that aspect is covered in several of the replies including the different numbers of lefties and righties. There was a reason given in one reply - possibly corealis forces - I forget - which in the northern hemisphere lead to lefties being common while the righties are an endangered species. Evil trafficers were found to be sticking false eyes on the bums of righties to fool customs officers into thinking it was the completely legal lefties that were being transported.