Michael Rolls

word blindness strikes me quite often
Cassandra - that is so sad.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: zoony on March 10, 2022, 06:35:20 PM
It does worry me when using the computer, that very familiar pathways can suddenly leave me clueless half-way through as to what to do next! [2040] Thankfully it's very  temporary.. at the moment!

I have a theory that our minds are like a computers RAM memory. As time goes by, the RAM (random access memory) upstairs becomes full and hence I forget something, as the facility is temporarily overloaded. At other times the ROM (read only memory only) blips, perhaps for the same reason.

I've got a few vehicles and sometimes forget what button is where and what it does. Except for the 'old reliable' 1958 car. Everything in it is so simple especially with digital upgrades to ignition and fuel injection! :smiley: 

Alternatively I can still recite many poems of considerable length word perfect, but some days can't remember the date?

An old friend of mine who was once one of England's premier Test Batsmen and slip fielders describes these passages as 'neuro - rhythm' imbalances and says he definitely knew as soon as he 'took strike' at the wicket what sort of day he was going to have?

I think as long as we are able to reason the perception of these contrasts then hopefully things are OK. An old professional adversary and dear friend of mine had a mind like a razor, one wrong step in a case and he'd shred you.

I saw him just before leaving the UK. Sitting alone in his room, staring blankly out the window, he'd not eaten a wrapped chocolate bar because he didn't recognise what it was, nor to whom he was speaking, it was his 80th birthday. I'm three years behind him and at the same age I must say the signs were very prevalent. Its a lottery I must conjecture, only with closer odds than we'd like to consider ...

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

Quote from: klondike on March 10, 2022, 06:50:34 PM
I completely lose words I am well aware of. I went through a spell of losing the word cormorant. I ended up just calling them the C bird. Don't do that one now but do with other words from time to time.

A bane of my life is losing words. That and short-term memory loss..

zoony

Quote from: Cassandra on March 10, 2022, 09:05:02 PM

I have a theory that our minds are like a computers RAM memory. As time goes by, the RAM (random access memory) upstairs becomes full and hence I forget something, as the facility is temporarily overloaded. At other times the ROM (read only memory only) blips, perhaps for the same reason.

I've got a few vehicles and sometimes forget what button is where and what it does. Except for the 'old reliable' 1958 car. Everything in it is so simple especially with digital upgrades to ignition and fuel injection! :smiley: 

Alternatively I can still recite many poems of considerable length word perfect, but some days can't remember the date?

An old friend of mine who was once one of England's premier Test Batsmen and slip fielders describes these passages as 'neuro - rhythm' imbalances and says he definitely knew as soon as he 'took strike' at the wicket what sort of day he was going to have?

I think as long as we are able to reason the perception of these contrasts then hopefully things are OK. An old professional adversary and dear friend of mine had a mind like a razor, one wrong step in a case and he'd shred you.

I saw him just before leaving the UK. Sitting alone in his room, staring blankly out the window, he'd not eaten a wrapped chocolate bar because he didn't recognise what it was, nor to whom he was speaking, it was his 80th birthday. I'm three years behind him and at the same age I must say the signs were very prevalent. Its a lottery I must conjecture, only with closer odds than we'd like to consider ...

I certainly agree with the RAM bit getting filled up after so many years. Not a pleasant thought but what fills me with dread is to consider the years ahead spent alone.

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 10, 2022, 09:01:04 PM
word blindness strikes me quite often
Cassandra - that is so sad.
Mike

Yes Mike, sometimes I give up and seek to consort the 'online' Thesaurus, usually just as I click on it's tab, the mind clears and reveals it's prize. Words were and still are my world and this failure upsets me more than other failings.

My mother and father possessed great clarity of mind to the end and in my mothers case lived till she was 94. Her sister went on to four months before 3 figures. However over the last 5 years she deteriorated sharply and ended up on 'good' days thinking I was her late brother. A cruel game, but at least in closing they are like birds born into captivity, ignorant of their loss.

Michael Rolls

Short term is a bugbear. Just finished watching a film on Netflix and I couldn't remember what it was called! Had to backtrack
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

A friend, ten years younger than me, a one time work colleague and a very bright man, has been little more than a vegetable for about seven years now. His wife, with help, cares for him at home. Must be heartbreaking
Mike
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: zoony on March 10, 2022, 09:20:08 PM

I certainly agree with the RAM bit getting filled up after so many years. Not a pleasant thought but what fills me with dread is to consider the years ahead alone.

Yes I coalesce completely Mike, perhaps thats why I surround myself with animals now :hmm:

Michael Rolls

When young, Fleur used to dash about as though demented - but that was rather different!
How are you and the doggies coping with a Yanky winter?
Mike
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on March 10, 2022, 09:27:48 PM
When young, Fleur used to dash about as though demented - but that was rather different!
How are you and the doggies coping with a Yanky winter?
Mike

I've got them both really warm coats. Albert, being a hardy Scot doesn't seem bothered, he's young and loves it all, barrelling around on his long lead. The little one is more reserved and enjoys returning to the little sling, across chest carrier, under Dad's coat after a short trot. It gets very cold at night - just now, 5pm its minus 3c. However most modern homes here are brilliantly insulated, being wood framed and with the energy being contrastingly cheap, even now I can have the controls at 20c, with the log fire in the background in the evening and be very comfortable. The Dogs get so close to it, but have to back off as the evening progresses, ending up under the Duvet  at night!  Most mornings at this time, there's been light snow overnight and it's very beautiful. Because the locals are used to it they have the facilities and the mind set to accept the snow and the temperatures. You have to be aware though. For example I need to be watchful drawing in sharp breaths, first thing it can be very painful and I'm careful to wear special spiked boots too.

Overall though it's wonderful, Ive always enjoyed snowy climes.

Raven

Sounds like your fast becoming a local Cass. How are the horses? Did you get them a big beach ball?

zoony

Cass, I'm curious. Are you very far from Petosky?

zoony

I said I was turning into my mother? Well I wasn't really joking.. I'm becoming ever-more grumpy and humourless which are characteristics in my family.. Not a good feeling..

Michael Rolls

think of Brian - surely that would be enough to give anyone a laugh
Mike 😁😁😁
[email protected]

Sheila

My mum knew that one of my daughters had children but she didn't know which one.  The only thing that she was sure of was that my (second) husband was the father!

Looking after her was a nightmare and I remember going round to her house for the third time one day and a neighbour of hers, who knew that because she had been out gardening, said that my mother had come out looking for me and said that she hadn't seen me for weeks!