George VI

Started by Alex, September 15, 2022, 10:24:23 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Someone posted this clip from King George VI 's funeral on another site, I thought some may be interested, apart from Phil of course  :cool:  I don't remember this, but I do remember Elizabeth's coronation the following year.

klondike

Of course there will be a coronation to come too. Wonder when that will be.

I took little interest in these events last time around as I was just a baby at the time. Many will have been born and died with only one monarch throughout their life.

GrannyMac

I remember the coronation, still got a souvenir mug. I was very envious of a friend who had a miniature of the gold coach on her mantlepiece.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

we saw the Coronation on a neighbour's TV - the first time any of us had seen a television - but not the funeral of the King. Don't know if it was televised and as Dad was bedridden by then we didn't go to the cinema where it certainly featured in the news reels.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

No tv in the family until much later.. I think it was around the same time as Coronation Street hitting the screen...  I remember watching that little girl with .. with... was it a blackboard !!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

That was BBC2. I remember putting up UHF aerials with another bloke at weekends. A nice little earner. The partnership broke up when he got knicked for being the infamous Hardingstone Woods flasher. 

Scrumpy

Also .. Wasn't there another little aerial attached to the main one that indicated that you had ITV..?   

Michael Rolls

yes - a sign of 'there's posh!'
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

BBC was on Band 1 - those big H aerials or in strong signal areas just a long rod.
ITV was on Band 3 - more and smaller elements (rods)

BBC2 was Bands 4 and 5  (UHF) - much smaller elements and more of them. It would usually be added to the mast that carried the other two aerials.

I was working in a lab designing communications aerials at the time but the company bread and butter was TV aerials for which I got a big staff discount.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on September 16, 2022, 08:38:13 AMThat was BBC2. I remember putting up UHF aerials with another bloke at weekends. A nice little earner. The partnership broke up when he got knicked for being the infamous Hardingstone Woods flasher.
He's still trading.

https://bit.ly/3Dt8fyS
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Scrumpy

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on September 15, 2022, 10:24:23 PMSomeone posted this clip from King George VI 's funeral on another site, I thought some may be interested, apart from Phil of course  :cool:  I don't remember this, but I do remember Elizabeth's coronation the following year.

I was aged 7 & the head teacher came into the classroom to break the news, but it didn't really mean much to me even back then.

And, of course, I didn't have to endure 24/7 news of his death.

A young girl who I take to school, yes, accompanied by her Mum, was asked by her teacher how the death of the Queen had affected her so she said it hadn't as she didn't know the Queen.

I wish I could have seen the teacher's face.

Good girl, a Republican in the making.

Lol  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

Phil, you've already told us your feelings about the Queen and Charles, so we're all perfectly aware you have no time for the monarchy.  I'm not having a go, BUT what I don't understand, is why you have to put your republican comments on EVERY thread. Give it a rest !