Ever noticed

Started by klondike, April 05, 2024, 12:15:54 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

On GB News although they present an alternate viewpoint they often pick somebody who seems pretty unbelievable in that rather than giving a calm rebuttal of whatever the presenter has suggested they tend to gabble away incessantly and talk over the presenter throughout.

The ones I noticed recently are a greeny net zero bloke talking down any suggestions that EVs are inconvenient for long journeys and an Asian legal bloke who thought it fine that we are unable to deport any illegal immigrants. He was not only gabbling but with a pretty thick accent that I had trouble following.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on April 05, 2024, 12:15:54 PMOn GB News although they present an alternate viewpoint they often pick somebody who seems pretty unbelievable in that rather than giving a calm rebuttal of whatever the presenter has suggested they tend to gabble away incessantly and talk over the presenter throughout.

The ones I noticed recently are a greeny net zero bloke talking down any suggestions that EVs are inconvenient for long journeys and an Asian legal bloke who thought it fine that we are unable to deport any illegal immigrants. He was not only gabbling but with a pretty thick accent that I had trouble following.
They do, at least, make an effort to include alternative viewpoints, but perhaps all of the people with alternative viewpoints are self-opinionated, argumentative, gabblers, greenies, and EV owners!

Actually, it's probably good entertainment and gives ordinary viewers a laugh.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Try Steve Hedley on TalkTV latest bout with Julia Hartley-Brewer and previously with James Whale, who slung him out.

A mad man ...

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

James Whale is a pretty good judge!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

I like JHB, my only complaint is she gets all these so called experts on her show but she doesn't let them speak! no idea why she invites them really.  I don't mean this fella on the clip, he's something else !   :rolleyes:

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on April 05, 2024, 07:21:32 PMI like JHB, my only complaint is she gets all these so called experts on her show but she doesn't let them speak! no idea why she invites them really.  I don't mean this fella on the clip, he's something else !  :rolleyes:

That's exactly what my son says!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Cassandra

I completely agree, if she's on when I'm just out of ear range to here individual words, for example in the shower, her voice sound is a continuous stream. Amazing velocity and output! A bit like a verbal equivalent to an MG42 machine gun (1600 rounds a minute). In WW2, the Allies called it 'Hitler's Bandsaw'.

Having guests is pointless, as she asks questions and then answers them herself.

I like her views but actually find her stressful to try and keep up with these days.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on April 07, 2024, 03:00:24 PMI completely agree, if she's on when I'm just out of ear range to here individual words, for example in the shower, her voice sound is a continuous stream. Amazing velocity and output! A bit like a verbal equivalent to an MG42 machine gun (1600 rounds a minute). In WW2, the Allies called it 'Hitler's Bandsaw'
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Unless the yank's pay a mere fraction of the price for ammunition that it costs here the cost or making that must have been humungous. I recall one I saw ages back of Yanks using high rate of fire anti aircraft guns in a desert. I'll see if I can find it. Meanwhile...

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on April 08, 2024, 08:42:20 AM

Very impressive, from the shooter's point of view!

I wonder how long before they are replaced by hand-held laser weapons, now that they are beginning to be installed on warships to shoot down aircraft instead of using missiles.  Cheaper and faster than missiles, in fact instantaneous.

klondike

Quote from: JBR on April 08, 2024, 10:13:31 AMVery impressive, from the shooter's point of view!

I wonder how long before they are replaced by hand-held laser weapons, now that they are beginning to be installed on warships to shoot down aircraft instead of using missiles.  Cheaper and faster than missiles, in fact instantaneous.
They'll need something better than AAs. The Terminator asked for a phased plasma rifle in the forty watt class iirc but effective laser weapons are in the multi kilowatt class

JBR

Quote from: klondike on April 08, 2024, 10:28:58 AMThey'll need something better than AAs. The Terminator asked for a phased plasma rifle in the forty watt class iirc but effective laser weapons are in the multi kilowatt class

That's pretend.
Laser weapons are right now being tested on ships, even in the RN unless I'm mistaken.

klondike

Yes indeed and they are multi kilowatt weapons (hundreds of kilowatts for the most powerful) and hardly something you could calll handheld  which you were wondering about...

Quote from: JBR on April 08, 2024, 10:13:31 AMVery impressive, from the shooter's point of view!

I wonder how long before they are replaced by hand-held laser weapons

Hand held really is pretend and I suspect will remain so for a very long time and probably forever.