Electricity Prices May Reduce.

Started by Raven, July 18, 2022, 08:43:31 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

The Wind of Change seems to be blowing over charges, making it cheaper for homes.

BBC News - Electricity market review to provide cheaper prices
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62208232

Michael Rolls

This is the bit I don't like:-

National Grid hopes to roll out a scheme where people can save cash if they avoid high-power activities, such as cooking or charging electric cars, when demand is high

So Breakfast at 8 am  - pay through the nose, etc..
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

I doubt that breakfast is a massive consumer of energy. Using electricity off peak is probablu something that will suit many of the retired who get far more discretion. A plug in timer for washing machines is no big deal either. Unfortunately the largest energy consumption is home heating and I doubt that gas is included in that scheme. It won't suit the likes of Mike on electricity only either.

Michael Rolls

very true. Actually, I usually have a piece of toast around 0530, and then again around 0800 when most working folk will be having brekkie - and the toaster is very noticeably down on power compared to the earlier usage.
Mike
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Gas heating, but electric shower. Don't mind using my washing machine at night, I often do anyway.   Our electricity costs hardly vary throughout the year, but we save a fortune in gas in summer.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Ashy

It's the generators who should even out supply, not customers. They've had about 100 years to figure it out.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Ashy on July 19, 2022, 11:22:28 AMIt's the generators who should even out supply, not customers.
A lot of our energy now comes from wind and solar. We do have a couple of archbishop's who could maybe petition their management but about a million years or more of other shamen have had little luck on that score.

Energy storage would be nice but it is horrendously expensive and inefficient.